What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How far back does my paperwork have to go?

Started by , Mar 10 2022 06:44 PM
3 Replies

How far back does my paperwork have to go? I need to make room and I have some paperwork from 2010 all the way up to present day. Does anybody know how many years I must retain?

Thank You.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Back to Basics - HACCP Audit Table Scratch Outs on Paperwork SQF Edition 9 Hi again I'm back Reusing plastic film cores sent back from customer to packaging manufacturer SQF Practitioner and Back-up going on Maternity leave
[Ad]
What are you audited under? Is this an FDA or USDA facility?

What we have for our policy is that we retain our paperwork for 3 years and if we should ever be involved in a recall, that paperwork would be kept for 10 years.

As Setanta mentioned, it depends on the scheme you're working to. For reference, the BRCGS Food standard dictates shelf life + 12 months, but I've seen retailer compliance schemes go to 3 years+.

I've worked at food manufacturers who've had policies to never destroy records and retain indefinitely, but if you've gone back around 5 years or so I think that's perfectly good diligence for most purposes.

Attached Files

• 3.3.PNG   108.25KB   1 downloads

Since you posted in SQF:

2.2.3.3 Records shall be readily accessible, retrievable, and securely stored to prevent unauthorized access, loss, damage, and deterioration. Retention periods shall be in accordance with customer, legal, and regulatory requirements, at minimum the product shelf-life or established by the site if no shelf-life exists.

There are other rules around accounting, personnel safety, etc  if those documents are also included.   

Similar Discussion Topics
Back to Basics - HACCP Audit Table Scratch Outs on Paperwork SQF Edition 9 Hi again I'm back Reusing plastic film cores sent back from customer to packaging manufacturer SQF Practitioner and Back-up going on Maternity leave Paperwork Storage SQF Ingredient map back to source trace Who signs paperwork? FSSC 22k non-conformance bite back... Peel Back - nesting labels