What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Left Construction to Join the Family Business

Started by , Apr 06 2022 06:32 PM
4 Replies

Hello Everyone!

I recently left the construction industry to join in my families business working in the Flexible Packaging Industry. We are working on developing/updating our procedures to hopefully go for SQF Audit/Certification at the end of the year.

I have been looking around the website and have found some great insight and help to get started but am interested to know what lessons/tools you might have learned from your companies experience that might be good for a newcomer?

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to learning from the community!

Josh

2 Likes
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Solution to nonconformance for doors to hall being left open Does fitting a strip curtain in a dock door allow it to be left open? Do fly screens fitted to external doors allow them to be left open? Is it ok to eat chicken that is left out for 4-5 hours wrapped in foil Pizza left out of overnight wrapped in foil...safe to eat?
[Ad]

That's exciting!  Start by downloading the SQF code from the SQF website.  Take an SQF course and become an SQF Practitioner.  That will give you a great idea of where to start.  You will also want to take the PCQI course from FSPCA.

1 Like1 Thank

Greetings! Coincidentally, I worked in the building industry for 20 years before coming to a paperboard packaging plant then becoming the FS Manager about 14 years ago. We started with a GMP program then developed it into an SQF program. I partially agree with sqflady, definitely must get your SQF Practitioner training (GMP and HACCP, Implementing SQF Systems). Not so much on the PCQI, it's not really relevant to packaging manufacturers. The FDA states : "For purposes of registration, food-contact substances are not considered "food," and therefor do not trigger the requirement to register (see 21 CFR § 1.227)." This effectively releases you from the FSMA and PCQI as they are specifically aimed at food manufacturers. You will find modules 2 and 13 to have far fewer requirements than food manufacturing modules. You will need ED 9 for Packaging Manufacturers (which includes module 13). On your journey, try not to confuse food manufacturing requirements with food packaging manufacturing requirements. Return frequently with any questions you have. What specific type of packaging do you produce?

1 Like1 Thank

Hoosiersmoker & sqflady Thank you for the help. I have already completed the HACCP Training and have an SQF course scheduled for later this month. I have been looking through the Module 2 and 13 to help prepare the documents/programs that we need to develop.

We are in the flexible packaging industry currently doing food and non food packaging. 

Good afternoon JOSHUA .. WELCOME

Similar Discussion Topics
Solution to nonconformance for doors to hall being left open Does fitting a strip curtain in a dock door allow it to be left open? Do fly screens fitted to external doors allow them to be left open? Is it ok to eat chicken that is left out for 4-5 hours wrapped in foil Pizza left out of overnight wrapped in foil...safe to eat? Air Dried Sausage left at Room Temp for 10 days Cooked Salmon left out overnight will it be safe to eat? GMP violation? Door separating warehouse from production left open