What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Labeling Ingredients

Started by , Apr 11 2022 04:20 PM
3 Replies

Hello,

We produce imitation crab meat and sell it to retail stores.  On our label, we list multiple ingredients under "contains less than 2%"  Do these have to do in order of most to least like the bigger ingredients?  During a recent recipe change, two of the ingredients switched amounts a tiny bit, like less than .05%  Understandably, they don't want to change labels if it's not needed.

Is there a link to the FDA site where I can find this information? I've searched and am having trouble finding anything.

Thanks.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation
[Ad]

Forum members in the US will hopefully pick this up as their expertise on FDA requirements is vastly greater than mine, but I presume you're referring to the exemption from ordering by proportion that can be applied below 2%, as included in 21CFR101.4:

(2) The descending order of predominance requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section do not apply to ingredients present in amounts of 2 percent or less by weight when a listing of these ingredients is placed at the end of the ingredient statement following an appropriate quantifying statement, e.g., "Contains _ percent or less of ___" or "Less than _ percent of ___." The blank percentage within the quantifying statement shall be filled in with a threshold level of 2 percent, or, if desired, 1.5 percent, 1.0 percent, or 0.5 percent, as appropriate. No ingredient to which the quantifying phrase applies may be present in an amount greater than the stated threshold.

There is a general FDA page on labelling  and nutrition guidance on their website here that might be useful to you: https://www.fda.gov/...ory-information

1 Thank

I think you are OK.  

Forum members in the US will hopefully pick this up as their expertise on FDA requirements is vastly greater than mine, but I presume you're referring to the exemption from ordering by proportion that can be applied below 2%, as included in 21CFR101.4:

(2) The descending order of predominance requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section do not apply to ingredients present in amounts of 2 percent or less by weight when a listing of these ingredients is placed at the end of the ingredient statement following an appropriate quantifying statement, e.g., "Contains _ percent or less of ___" or "Less than _ percent of ___." The blank percentage within the quantifying statement shall be filled in with a threshold level of 2 percent, or, if desired, 1.5 percent, 1.0 percent, or 0.5 percent, as appropriate. No ingredient to which the quantifying phrase applies may be present in an amount greater than the stated threshold.

There is a general FDA page on labelling  and nutrition guidance on their website here that might be useful to you: https://www.fda.gov/...ory-information

Thank you.
I have looked at the CFR21 so many times, I should have it memorized by now.  But I can't ever seem to find what I'm looking for when I NEED to find something.

Similar Discussion Topics
Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation Allergen Labeling Seafood Unrefined oil allergen labeling Retail Labeling Labeling Ready Meals as Bake SQF and FDA guidelines for labeling