What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Non-GMO Mass Balance

Started by , May 19 2022 11:27 AM
1 Reply

Hi All, 

Any advice as to how to best conduct a mass balance to meet the requirements of BRC section 5.4.4? "The facility shall maintain purchasing records, traceability of raw material usage and final product packing records to substantiate claims.  The site shall undertake documented mass balance tests at a frequency to meet the particular scheme requirements or at least every 6 months in the absence of a scheme-specific requirement."

We manufacture various finished goods using different raw materials that are on the list of US GMO items (corn syrup, sugar, soy, etc) and some products contain multiple listed ingredients.  This seems like a big undertaking!  I'm looking for ways to possibly make it simpler than balancing every raw material. 

Thanks in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
RSPO Mass balance clarification Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator Method for tracing organic oil used to fry products that meets mass balance requirements MSC CoC mass reconciliation Traceability of Finished Product and Mass Balance of Raw Material
[Ad]

Greetings Jim,

From your post I haven't figured out if you use GMO raw materials or if the raw materials you use are just on the US GMO list. Also this clause refers to specific labelling or claims made about a raw material in your product, so if you don't do either then you don't actually have to follow through. And even if you do the mass balance calculation isn't (in my opinion) a huge issue with the use of an excel.

Correct me if my way of thinking is way off !!!

Regards!

Similar Discussion Topics
RSPO Mass balance clarification Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator Method for tracing organic oil used to fry products that meets mass balance requirements MSC CoC mass reconciliation Traceability of Finished Product and Mass Balance of Raw Material BRC Clause 3.11.2 - 3.11.4 Traceability and Mass Balance Mass Balance Testing Template (for Food Fraud VA) How do you determine the % tolerance allowed in the mass balance of your traceability of packaging materials? Is it okay to do external calibration every two years for incubator & analytical balance? Balance Calibration Frequency