What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hand Soap for Organic food production facility

Started by , Jun 27 2023 04:11 PM
5 Replies

Hello all, 

The hand soap we were using in our facility has been discontinued by the supplier. So I am in process of finding a new hand soap for our facility. 

My question was - Do we need to use antimicrobial hand wash or a regular foaming hand soap would be good? 

The one we used before was the antibacterial one, So pretty confused now which one to go for. 

If anyone has any insights about this. It would be a great help! Thanks In Advance. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Microbial environmental air standard & dairy worker hand swab analysis method with standard & dairy equipment like pasteuriser, valve etc swab OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures GMP Hand Swabs Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free
[Ad]

certainly you will need an antimicrobial sanitizer for hands to reduce total bacterial count to the

safe limit

If you want to see the requirements from FDA point of view, it only asks that you must provide "soap or surfactant". It does not illustrate further. 

[Code of Federal Regulations]

[Title 21, Volume 2]

[CITE: 21CFR112.130]

According to Minnesota Department of Public Health, there is no evidence that antibacterial soaps are more effective than plain soap for preventing infection under most circumstances in the home or in public places. Therefore, plain soap is recommended in public, non-health care settings and in the home (unless otherwise instructed by your doctor). Which Soap is Best? - MN Dept. of Health (state.mn.us)

Since you were speaking about ORGANIC, I would also check my client or certifying body expectation. If your client expects you to be using specific soap, then you need to comply with that. Otherwise, there is such requirement anywhere.  

1 Thank

AFAIK, there is no requirement to hand soaps, please see attached Permitted Substances. Through our 10 years of organic production, we've always been using regular soap.

Attached Files

1 Thank

FYI there is little to no support for antibacterial handsoap functioning any better than standard soap  

I have heard that when it comes to all personnel hygiene products--that industry creates a problem when they have a "solution" and no market for it

1 Thank

I have always just used "certified" soaps (like E2 USA).    It eliminates the issues of someone purchasing soaps with fragrance, moisturizers, allergens etc that can be an issue by people other than organic certifiers.   

Similar Discussion Topics
Microbial environmental air standard & dairy worker hand swab analysis method with standard & dairy equipment like pasteuriser, valve etc swab OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures GMP Hand Swabs Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Hand Soap Refill Methods Hand Swabs of Food Handlers as verification of hand hygiene Hand Degreaser Soap Is Unscented Hand Moisturizer Allowed Underneath Gloves?