What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Canadian or Ontario guidelines for microbiological testing?

Started by , Feb 23 2012 05:18 PM
15 Replies
Does anyone know if there are any Canadian or Ontario guidelines for microbiological testing?

Frequency?
acceptable results?
Locations/items to be tested?

Thanks in advance
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Bill S-211 - Forced and Child Labour in Canadian Supply Chains (audit?) Canadian and US maximum permissible level of heavy metals in fish Canadian label ingredients Supplying Water to Employees in Canadian Manufacturing Facilities Canadian Ingredient Declaration for Various flours
[Ad]

Does anyone know if there are any Canadian or Ontario guidelines for microbiological testing?

Frequency?
acceptable results?

Thanks in advance

Veggietime

A little more detail for what you want to test might help other readers to respond.

You could do a search for accredited labs for micro in Ontario and then contact them. Some have been helpful in suppling details including testing procedures.

go to http://www.scc.ca/en...redited-clients for a complete listing
Dear Veggietime,

Continuing the previous post -

I presume testing for vegetables ??

But which vegetable, what status, eg raw, RTE or ???

Rgds / Charles.C
Veggietime,

Have you seen the Compendium of Analytical Methods?

http://www.hc-sc.gc....1/index-eng.php

The Statistical Aspects are archived, but you can send them an e-mail.

In relation to the acceptable results are they for environmental sampling or the product?

If I see something I will reply this message.

Cheers, and all the best,

Frequency?
acceptable results?

Thanks in advance

We produce minimally processed vegetables. Some RTE.

I am looking for any regulations on what acceptable results are for environmental and finished product sampling.

Or if there are regulations/standards/ guidelines or suggestions for what environmental and product sampling should be tested for

Appreciate all of the input :)

Veggie,

this is what I used when I was working on a mushroom farm (RTE). Find something similar on a federal level or from Ontario Ministry of Health
http://collections.b...:/52327/bs43295
'

1 Thank
Dear Veggietime,

I’m guessing the link below is the general Canadian “situation” for yr product however it seems to imply that no specific micro.regs are applicable unless I have missed them. Para 1.1 implies that pathogens will not be reliably (post-harvesting) eradicatable if present in incoming harvested raw material which I believe is currently in line with the opinions of various other official bodies, eg Codex, US-FDA.

http://www.inspectio...l/minproe.shtml

Psunjka’s attachment is very nice also and obviously takes a different viewpoint if I understand the French correctly. I think that section 2.10.2 is sort of product-equivalent to the link above while 2.10.1 is the "untransformed" input.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Veggietime,

I’m guessing the link below is the general Canadian “situation” for yr product however it seems to imply that no specific micro.regs are applicable unless I have missed them. Para 1.1 implies that pathogens will not be reliably (post-harvesting) eradicatable if present in incoming harvested raw material which I believe is currently in line with the opinions of various other official bodies, eg Codex, US-FDA.

http://www.inspectio...l/minproe.shtml

Psunjka’s attachment is very nice also and obviously takes a different viewpoint if I understand the French correctly. I think that section 2.10.2 is sort of product-equivalent to the link above while 2.10.1 is the "untransformed" input.

Rgds / Charles.C

use the NHP info.. i will send you a link once i reach my desk.. .. it has the micros and chemicals...

Veggie,

this is what I used when I was working on a mushroom farm (RTE). Find something similar on a federal level or from Ontario Ministry of Health
http://collections.b...:/52327/bs43295
'

Hi psunjka, 

that link doesn't seem to work? I have been looking for typical micro count of raw mushroom, specifically Portobello mushrooms. Any idea or guidelines I can get? 

Thank you.

Hi psunjka, 

that link doesn't seem to work? I have been looking for typical micro count of raw mushroom, specifically Portobello mushrooms. Any idea or guidelines I can get? 

Thank you.

Hi clover,

Works for me. Try again maybe.

Hope you can read French language.

Hi clover,

Works for me. Try again maybe.

Hope you can read French language.

Nope, not working for me and I can't read French. Oh wells. No worries. 

Nope, not working for me and I can't read French. Oh wells. No worries. 

Hi clover,

No biggie,

bs43295 (French).pdf   331.83KB   6 downloads

Hi clover,

No biggie,

bs43295 (French).pdf

Hi Charles, 

thanks but like I've mentioned in my previous post - I can't read French. On a side note, I'm looking for a standard shelf-life guidelines of food items (e.g cooked vegetables) for both chilled and frozen. Do you have any to share? :)

Hi Veggietime,

Can you be more specific as to what you are actually looking for ? Scope of OP is enormous.

Regarding OP, as I'm sure you already know, 2 likely sources are the websites for Health Canada and CFIA.

Some random finds from Google -

cmg1 - Health_Canada_-_Guidelines_for_the_General_Cleanliness_of_Food(2),2009.pdf   41.73KB   6 downloads

cmg2 - Canada, RTE , microbial guidelines,2010.pdf   922.18KB   7 downloads

cmg3 - Ontario - Public Health Inspectors Guide 2013.pdf   4.2MB   3 downloads

cmg4 - Ontario unofficial micro Standards reusable plastic containers for produce, 2013.pdf   353.36KB   2 downloads

cmg5 - Ontario unofficial micro Standards reusable plastic containers for produce, 2014.pdf   91.91KB   1 downloads

cmg6 - Ontario, Food safety - training_manual.pdf   2.83MB   6 downloads

Risk assessments, standards, for more product specific collections exist, eg seafood.

Hi Charles, 

thanks but like I've mentioned in my previous post - I can't read French. On a side note, I'm looking for a standard shelf-life guidelines of food items (e.g cooked vegetables) for both chilled and frozen. Do you have any to share? :)

Hi Clover,

Actually, if you have a look, a lot is quite guessable as to the direction of interest. It's a quite wide-scoped document. May be available in English somewhere.

i suggest you open a new thread for shelf-lives.

Similar Discussion Topics
Bill S-211 - Forced and Child Labour in Canadian Supply Chains (audit?) Canadian and US maximum permissible level of heavy metals in fish Canadian label ingredients Supplying Water to Employees in Canadian Manufacturing Facilities Canadian Ingredient Declaration for Various flours Canadian Metal Detectable Limits How to check conformity to Canadian FCM regulations Canadian regulations on the resale of moldy product to a salvage company Merging Canadian and USA Labelling Requirements When exporting from Europe, is it possible to put double labels, US and Canadian, on the same pack?