• Quick Navigation
Photo

Bill S-211 - Forced and Child Labour in Canadian Supply Chains (audit?)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Deanna G.V

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 February 2024 - 10:11 PM

Hello! I am looking for some feedback on what other companies are doing to remediate forced and child labour in their supply chains. With Bill S-211 now in effect, we must report what our businesses are doing for the items at the bottom of this post. 

I would like, specifically to know if anyone has suppliers that are audited for child / forced labour, what types of global certifications / associations exist, are there certificates of proof that exist? I have not been able to find anything regarding this topic through my google searches.

Feel free to also comment on the items listed below. Thank you so much in advance! We are using this Bill as one of our BRCGS (GFSI) food safety and quality objectives for 2024. 

1. The steps the entity has taken during its previous financial year to prevent and reduce the risk that forced labour or child labour is used at any step of the production of goods in Canada or elsewhere by the entity or of goods imported into Canada by the entity.

2. Its policies and due diligence processes in relation to forced labour and child labour.

3. The parts of its business and supply chains that carry a risk of forced labour or child labour being used and the steps it has taken to assess and manage that risk.

4. Any measures taken to remediate any forced labour or child labour.

5. Any measures taken to remediate the loss of income to the most vulnerable families that results from any measure taken to eliminate the use of forced labour or child labour in its activities and supply chains.

6. The training provided to employees on forced labour and child labour.

7. How the entity assesses its effectiveness in ensuring that forced labour and child labour are not being used in its business and supply chains.

Deanna G-V |

HACCP Coordinator

Harvest Meats, a Division of PB OLP

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 February 2024 - 01:10 PM

Not sure how you're going to be able to prove that say beef imported from Brazil is free from child labour or any packaging made in abroad.....

I did find these organizations that could assist

https://www.ilo.org/...c_pub_27555.pdf

https://core-ombuds....l.aspx?lang=eng

https://www.fairtrad...ue/child-labour

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like ethical trade audits like SMETA will be more common, if some demonstration of efforts is being mandated.

I never look forward to ours, its longer than all of our on-site food safety and quality audits put together.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2024 - 05:21 PM

Sounds like ethical trade audits like SMETA will be more common, if some demonstration of efforts is being mandated.

I never look forward to ours, its longer than all of our on-site food safety and quality audits put together.

SMETA was the first thing that came to mind too.  We have to invite SMETA at all of our plants to satisfy our retail customers.  In addition, in our Supplier Approval forms to our vendors, we require they sign off on a supplier code of conduct that child labor is not used, nor labor related to slavery or human trafficking.  Not sure if a form would be sufficient under this new Canadan law, I'm just a silly, rowdy American lol.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 February 2024 - 07:17 PM

This may or not be relevant to your query, but thought I should share just the same

https://www.theguard...-at-kenyan-farm

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Deanna G.V

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 February 2024 - 07:50 PM

This may or not be relevant to your query, but thought I should share just the same

https://www.theguard...-at-kenyan-farm

How terrible!

Deanna G-V |

HACCP Coordinator

Harvest Meats, a Division of PB OLP

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audit, reporting, policy policies, training, assess effectiveness, brcgs, gfsi, objective

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users