What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Migration Testing Frequency for Food Contact Packaging?

Started by , Mar 15 2013 11:17 AM
4 Replies
Can one of you lovely packaging people help me please.

How frequent should migration testing be carried out on packaging that is in contact with food?

Thanks

Caz x
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method Requesting migration reports from packaging suppliers Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry Type of migration test suitable to test on repeat used of HDPE Plastic for steaming Labs in the US to perform Migration testing on water bottles
[Ad]
Hi Caz,

If any change to packaging component formulation e.g. substrate, lacquer, ink etc.
If any addition to end use e.g. if going to be used for high acid product and not previously tested for that
If any change to manufacturing technology or process
If any change to legislation e.g. 10/2011

As far as I am aware there is no definitive frequency for ongoing or periodic testing. However, if there is a system in place for monitoring and acting upon all of the above points then in my experience 3-5 years is the type of frequency I’m seeing. It is very expensive, especially if you have a lot of specifications.

Regards,
Simon
1 Thank

Hi Caz,

If any change to packaging component formulation e.g. substrate, lacquer, ink etc.
If any addition to end use e.g. if going to be used for high acid product and not previously tested for that

As far as I am aware there is no definitive frequency for ongoing or periodic testing. However, if there is a system in place for monitoring and acting upon all of the above points then in my experience 3-5 years is the type of frequency I’m seeing. It is very expensive, especially if you have a lot of specifications.

Regards,
Simon

So now that the legislation has changed to The Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (England) Regulations 2012 does that mean it has to be redone?

Caz x

So now that the legislation has changed to The Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (England) Regulations 2012 does that mean it has to be redone?

Caz x

In that legislation it references:

Regulation (EU) No. 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food(g); these are the latest detailed rules on migration testing.

In 10/2011 there is a transition period from the old migration rules to the new with a dealine to retest all previously tested materials before 1 January 2016. New tests are being done against 10/2011 and companies are transitioning over existing materials also.

Regards,
Simon

3 Thanks

Hi Caz,

Regards,
Simon

what is the interval time to carry out this test?

Similar Discussion Topics
Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method Requesting migration reports from packaging suppliers Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry Type of migration test suitable to test on repeat used of HDPE Plastic for steaming Labs in the US to perform Migration testing on water bottles Food Contact Label Migration Test Lab Recommendation Migration test for flour packaging Packaging migration test for freeze food Migration testing of packaging Migration Test for Paper Towels