What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Stuck on finding any hazards with the Hammer Mill

Started by , Jan 05 2014 08:43 PM
6 Replies

Hi, I am doing a hazard analysis chart for our plant right now, and im stuck on finding any hazards with the hammer mill. Like Physical, Biological and Chemical hazards.  Our auditor insist I must find the hazards and preventive measures because I have the hammer mill in our flowchart. Thanks for any advice.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Stuck with NC BRC V8 Clause 2.5.1 Stuck on finding ways to measure food safety culture Preventative Maintenance? I'm stuck Newbie - stuck on traceability for scrap? Trying to make a HACCP plan, stuck on Hazard Analysis
[Ad]

To dustihere:

Any possibility of pathogenic microorganism due to improper cleaning (dead spot that is hard to clean) , physical metal powder or metal fragment due to wear-and-tear of the hammer mill, lubricant (using lubricant?) from the hammer mill etc.?

Yong

Dear dustishere,

Do you have a metal detector near the end of yr process ?

These are generically very popular with auditors where metallic process equipment is concerned. :smile:

If no budget for a MD, as per previous post,  you may have to validate from a risk evaluation that there simply is no significant hazard, eg metal contamination.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear dustishere,

Do you have a metal detector near the end of yr process ?

These are generically very popular with auditors where metallic process equipment is concerned. :smile:

If no budget for a MD, as per previous post,  you may have to validate from a risk evaluation that there simply is no significant hazard, eg metal contamination.

Rgds / Charles.C

We have 4 grate magnets throughout the processing post hammer mill

We have 4 grate magnets throughout the processing post hammer mill

Dear dustishere,

You seem to have answered yr own OP wit a CCP. :thumbup:

(assuming you can validate the effectiveness of the last metal grate which i assume is the (most/joint equal most) sensitive and is located such that no subsequent significant risk of metallic contamination exists )

Rgds Charles.C

Hi, I am doing a hazard analysis chart for our plant right now, and im stuck on finding any hazards with the hammer mill. Like Physical, Biological and Chemical hazards.  Our auditor insist I must find the hazards and preventive measures because I have the hammer mill in our flowchart. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Dustihere,

Can you post a process flow diagram as I think that will help.

Regards,

Tony

In terms of "dead spots" in the hammer mill, depending on the nature of the products you are handling, I would certainly consider the effects of chemical hazards eg is there a food safety risk from a product 1 if it gets into another batch of the same product (thereby increasing the concentration to an unacceptable level) or is there a risk if product 1 gets into product 2 causing a cross-contamination risk?

Where you have dead spots in a powder handling process, there is always the possibility of material "hang up" and a "clump" of product might subsequently drop into product you don't want it to.

In terms of chemical hazards you might also want to think about mycotoxins if you are handling cereals / flour.

Good Luck!

DP2006

Similar Discussion Topics
Stuck with NC BRC V8 Clause 2.5.1 Stuck on finding ways to measure food safety culture Preventative Maintenance? I'm stuck Newbie - stuck on traceability for scrap? Trying to make a HACCP plan, stuck on Hazard Analysis