• Quick Navigation
Photo

Newbie - stuck on traceability for scrap?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Otilia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hello,

I'm Otilia ... and I'm a newbie in ... everything. :(

I work in a plant - plastic thermoforming for food and non-food.

My problem is this: we will build a new plant in about 4-5 months and there, I (the NEWBIE!!!) supposed to implement all the requirments of BRC/Iop standard.

We are producing, as well, the foil/plastic. So, all the technological waste and the trays that did not past the quality control are mill ground and return as scrap into the tehnological flow. In this moment we have 15 recipes for the foil, 13 different colors and 9 thermoforming machines.

The question is: how far should I go with the traceability for scrap? What exactly is the requirement of BRC/Iop?

If someone can help me ... I will be grateful.

Thank you,

Otilia

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Welcome and Hello, Otilia!

I do wish I could be of more help, but I have confidence that someone here has been where you are and can come forward with advice. I hope you find these forums as helpful and informative as I have.

Best Wishes!
Setanta

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hi Otilia,

Welcome to the forum.  While I do packaging....I don't do that kind of packaging and BRC is not my forte.  But hopefully someone is going to come along and be able to help. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hankesg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

http://www.brcglobal...px#.U8WByfldWSo

Looks like BRC has a specific packaging standard. I would start there if I were in your shoes.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Otilia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thank you to all of you.

Hankesg, another problem of mine with the BRC: in all the standard I found "should", never "must" and nothing precise, clear. In a way is good, that means flexibility ...  but ... how flexible the auditors will be??? :)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hello Otilia welcome to the IFSQN.

I know about packaging and the BRC/IOP Standard. Personally I find the standard very easy to read and interpret and the requirements are very prescriptive and practical unlike ISO standards.

Can you tell me the clause number and requirements you are stuck on and we'll try to help you.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Otilia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hello Simon,

It's all about traceability for the scrap.

Ex.: one recipe (but we have 15 different recipes): 60% granules, 35% scrap, 2% additives and 3% colorant. All goes to extrusion. The result is a foil. That foil goes to thermoforming on, let's say, machine 1. During the proccess of thermoforming resulting technologic waste and nonconforming trays. All goes into a big box. The label on the box will provide: no. of machine, what type of granules (we have 2 different kind of granules, forbidden to mixed, have different properties), color and data. Then take the way to the mill. All will be chopped. 

But in this moment we have 9 machine and two mills. When we start to chop, we take the technological waste from 3-4 machines and the only requirement is to chop from the same granules and the same color. And now, on the resulted scrap, the label should have info that was provided from machine 1, 4 and 7? And how far shoul I go with this traceability? We are working 24/7 and at the mill we don't have so much space to order the technologic waste from which machines came.

Idk if i made myself understood :(

Otilia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Reading what I wrote above I think I complicated myself :)

I think I will fallow the traceability till the mill and after the label of the scrap will have only the color and the type of granules, the % of additives it is to small to have a influence.

If the auditors will want more, will come with how they want me to do it ... and I will do it in the way they want!

Thank you guys ... you were my sounding board! :)

fcchoi

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

just ensure traceability to next available scraps will do, as in our operations with thermoforming, we identify all the scraps with unique stcikers for PP and PS materials accordingly, and when re-used in mixing again for new extrusion, we will include the traceability nos thru the stcikers with assigned lot nos into our extrusion reports

Thanked by 1 Member:

Otilia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

Thank you Fcchoi! Good idea!

As well, you have COPP and HOPP? 

neilmilvain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

Hi Otilia

Couple of things.  Where the clause mentions 'shall' this means the requirment must be implemented.  As with most product certification standards you are required to implenmnet the requirments are prescribed there is little room for interpretation.

Regards the traceability, the standard requires that you have traceability to the best practical level of accuracy.  Which in this case I would suggest could simply be done by knowing the date of manufacture of the scrap material and therefore having traceabaility back to the batches of resin/masterbatch/process aids used at that time.

Ultimately you need to be able to demonstrate to the auditor that you have control over the raw materials being used in the product.

I'd strongly suggest that you get some training on the implemnetation of the standard as well as risk assessment as this is often an area where sites let themselves down.

Regards

Neil Milvain

SGS Global Product Manager - Packaging

BRC/IoP Auditor/ATP

Neil Milvain
SGS Systems & Services Certification
Global Product Manager - Packaging

BRC/IoP Auditor and ATP

Thanked by 2 Members:

Otilia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hello Neil and thank you for your advice.

Kind regards,

Otilia

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Dear neilmilvain,

Thks for the input.

:off_topic:

I'm curious about the meaning of the  ATP membership ? :smile:

I presume its not the insect chemical / tennis related, and it confounded Google also, although Authorised Training Professional looked just possible.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

neilmilvain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Hi Charles,

Close! It standard for Approved Training Provider.  The BRC have a scheme to apporve their trainers so only apporved trainers can provide the official BRC materials.

regards

Neil Milvain
SGS Systems & Services Certification
Global Product Manager - Packaging

BRC/IoP Auditor and ATP

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users