• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:50 AM

Hi,

We are trying to establish a HACCP plan for fruits and vegetables of all types. I was tasked to guide the team on documentation and testing. Can any help me with a sample and guide to develop our own? I know that the principles of HACCP are the same irrespective of whatever one produce. Go through the steps and come out with own control points, but I’m still confused though.

Do we need to get a sample for each fruit and vegetable and identify the physical, chemical, biological hazards, or 1 fruit and one vegetable will suffice?

I received a helpful answer from Dr Ajay Shah. He said,

For all produce that you source you have to ensure that you get an MRL (Maximum Residue Limit) which is a certificate that a grower has to provide that they meet the requirements of your country and also that they have a HACCP or SQF 1000 programme in plece etc,.

You must write specifications for each product though.

I hope this helps you.

If I understand it correctly he was addressing the pesticide reside or chemical hazards.
My additional questions -
How about the physical and biological hazards?
Do we need to get a sample of apple, banana, papaya, melon, broccoli, onion etc.
I am stuck at hazard analysis stage.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Simon, 09 June 2011 - 08:00 PM.
Dr Ajay is a he and not a she so made some amends.

SZY

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:28 AM

It's really depends on how detailed you want your HACCP Plan to be. You could do HACCP analysis on each single product group(e.g. fruits/vegies or raw/cooked and so forth) or create a very general plan (e.g. analysis for each step like receipt, storage, preparation, despatch and so forth)

I attached a HACCP Analysis of Receival for you. Hope this will help.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

I assume you're producing a generic HACCP plan or at least one for fruit, one for vegetables? If so, you don't need samples IMO. Start off by thinking of the extrinsic hazards; ie what could have come from the environment (chemical, physical, microbiological, allergenic), then what could come from the intrinsic properties of the produce, e.g. pips / stones, allergens (celery?), micro (E. Coli!) etc and in that case you may need to think through every type of produce you have. Just be systematic and realistic. I see HACCP plans derailed by people getting tied up with quality issues or hazards which are never likely to occur. This is where a likelihood / severity matrix can come in handy so you can dismiss ones which aren't worth talking about any more.

For ideas look at recalls and past quality incidents and look around at the plant. Ask the operators for ideas of what could go wrong.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

GMO,

Thank you very much for shedding light on my question, Sir. Posted Image
Hopefully I could explain to the rest of the organization members how to develop a HACCP plan in lay mans term so they will not have a difficulty on what to do and where to start.

I will surely need help in tackling of some difficulties I will be encountering. I will toss some questions later on.
Again, thank you GMO.. and looking for more from you. :smile:

Edited by mind over matter, 07 June 2011 - 04:43 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

Dear MOM,

You omitted to mention whether you are interested in the preharvesting or postharvesting stages (or both).?

An example of the latter is (hazard) analysed in the context of ISO22000 here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__34610

Some of the linked references in subsequent posts hv details on both process stages.

As far as ideas for likely raw material hazards are concerned, there are various well-known books (available as Google Books)which summarise this, eg Microorganisms in food vol.6 (= microbial ecology, for memory) which is a minor masterpiece. (Obviously recent events hv not got into the books yet.)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:03 AM

Some questions on receiving of raw materials -
1. What will be the Maximum Residue Limit for fresh fruits and vegetables? What is the acceptable level of pesticide for each product?
Background, we have a lot of suppliers. We could require some suppliers especially the big ones of Residue COA, but may be not for small farmers/suppliers especially those who supplied us small quantity.
2. Do we need to do a laboratory test for Pesticides for small suppliers or not?

Question on washing-
If pesticides might be present in the raw materials received and washing is only being done for potatoes, can we justify that we cannot wash the rest of the fruits and vegetables because doing so is tedious considering that we have plenty of them?

Follow up question on Hazard Analysis-
From previous replies, I’ve learned that there is no need for us to do a microbiological laboratory test for each fruit and vegetable because the volume is too many. How do we identify the severity and likelihood of microbiological hazards (if any) and conclude as reasonable likely to occur without doing a laboratory test? Please enlighten me.

Can anyone help with this? My appreciation in advance.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:30 AM

Dear MOM,

You omitted to mention whether you are interested in the preharvesting or postharvesting stages (or both).?

An example of the latter is (hazard) analysed in the context of ISO22000 here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__34610

Some of the linked references in subsequent posts hv details on both process stages.

As far as ideas for likely raw material hazards are concerned, there are various well-known books (available as Google Books)which summarise this, eg Microorganisms in food vol.6 (= microbial ecology, for memory) which is a minor masterpiece. (Obviously recent events hv not got into the books yet.)

Rgds / Charles.C

Favorite Charles C.
Thanks for the link. I’m not sure if pre-harvesting or post-harvesting stages should be included. This company (subsidiary) is engage in the purely distribution of fresh fruits and vegetables to key retail accounts in the country, as well as in the wholesale trading and distribution of commercial crops through trade channels like public wet markets etc. We have another company (subsidiary) engage in farming activities, but not this one.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

Dear MOM,

ADDED - Just noticed that this thread is almost a duplicate of another recent thread (?? :unsure: ) -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__45370

(my second attachment here is also given in that thread :doh: )(sorry folks!)

The document/information you seek will be defined by yr flow chart, ie what process you want to (haccp-wise) describe. Until you do this, you cannot go anywhere. :smile:

The Canadians hv done a lot of work on issuing haccp advice in this product area, can try the documents below which attempt to give (clearly stated :smile: ) generic haccp templates in a detailed, step-by-step form for this product area (typical input data is not given except for the prerequisites). The parent (but member-oriented) website which is linked in the document carries a lot more info. on different process segments. Some, more risk-oriented/hazard analysis/data-based aspects, of this work is linked in the document in my previous post (the source there is not member-oriented ;) .)

Attached File  Generic Food Safety Standard ( Repacking, Wholesale) Fresh Fruits and Veg..pdf   439.77KB   184 downloads
Attached File  Generic HACCP Model Workbook( Repacking, Wholesale) Fresh Fruits and Veg..pdf   315.84KB   192 downloads
(But see note at top of this post)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

Favorite Charles C,

Thanks for the links. If and when I am able to I'll look them over.

One quick question. If there is no need for us to do a laboratory analysis on microbiological hazards on fruits and vege, can I simply state in the HACCP plan (Hazard to be controlled column) all the microbes common in fruits and vegetables e.g. E. Coli or not?

Edited by mind over matter, 09 June 2011 - 06:07 AM.

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

Dear MOM,

ADDED - Just noticed that this thread is almost a duplicate of another recent thread (?? :unsure: ) -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__45370

(my second attachment here is also given in that thread :doh: )(sorry folks!)

The document/information you seek will be defined by yr flow chart, ie what process you want to (haccp-wise) describe. Until you do this, you cannot go anywhere. :smile:

The Canadians hv done a lot of work on issuing haccp advice in this product area, can try the documents below which attempt to give (clearly stated :smile: ) generic haccp templates in a detailed, step-by-step form for this product area (typical input data is not given except for the prerequisites). The parent (but member-oriented) website which is linked in the document carries a lot more info. on different process segments. Some, more risk-oriented/hazard analysis/data-based aspects, of this work is linked in the document in my previous post (the source there is not member-oriented ;) .)

Attached File  Generic Food Safety Standard ( Repacking, Wholesale) Fresh Fruits and Veg..pdf   439.77KB   184 downloads
Attached File  Generic HACCP Model Workbook( Repacking, Wholesale) Fresh Fruits and Veg..pdf   315.84KB   192 downloads
(But see note at top of this post)

Rgds / Charles.C

The information posted from the Canadian govt site is very useful and I have consulted this in the past and got some good information from it.

Thanks Charles C.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Favorite Charles C,

Thanks for the links. If and when I am able to I'll look them over.

One quick question. If there is no need for us to do a laboratory analysis on microbiological hazards on fruits and vege, can I simply state in the HACCP plan (Hazard to be controlled column) all the microbes common in fruits and vegetables e.g. E. Coli or not?

Hi Mind over Matter,

Firstly I must correct you in that I am a HE (Male)!!! and not a SHE (female) :rolleyes: ?!! But you would not know that.

It is important to conduct random sampling microbiological tests for E.coli, Slamonella spp and Listeria monocytogenes for post harvest produce.

High risk products (Those that can eaten uncooked, grown in or close to ground or have a large uneven surface) e.g. strawberry, spinach, mushroom etc.

Meduim risk will be thiose that are generally eaten cooked e.g. potato, beetroot asparagus etc

Low risk are crops grown over one metre above ground with edible skin e.g. apple , apricot, pear etc.

Low risk crops grown over one metre above ground, skin not eaten such as banana, avocado etc

i hope this helps.

cheers

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

This

I assume you're producing a generic HACCP plan or at least one for fruit, one for vegetables? If so, you don't need samples IMO.

and this

It is important to conduct random sampling microbiological tests for E.coli, Slamonella spp and Listeria monocytogenes for post harvest produce.

confused me even more. :crying:

But hopefully someone can enlighten me???

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

Dear MOM,

The intended idea of published generic examples is to indicate a procedural pattern which the authors (and/or perhaps their sources) have found useful for them.
The problem is that without doing some testing, you will not know if it equally applies to your own situation.

This is why HACCP is described as an (ultimately) process specific methodology. :biggrin:

If you can find time to look at the (Canadian) material I previously referred, you will see that certain fruits and vegetables were found to be able to be grouped in a reasonably standard (risk) format whereas others could not. AS's previous post illustrated some possible reasons for such eventualities.

I suppose you might consider re-locating to Canada to avoid microbiological examination?
:smile:
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

Dear MOM,

The intended idea of published generic examples is to indicate a procedural pattern which the authors (and/or perhaps their sources) have found useful for them.
The problem is that without doing some testing, you will not know if it equally applies to your own situation.

I agree with this. Using common sense Food Safety is not that hard to understand. If pesticides might be present in the incoming raw materials and washing is being done for potatoes alone because tedious to the gigantic supplies of hundreds of types of vegetables, therefore we cannot justify NOT doing chemical and microbiological examinations.

This is why HACCP is described as an (ultimately) process specific methodology. :biggrin:

I will not argue because I know that food safety is non-negotiable, although different countries have different levels of requirements. But problem is how to say to top management that they must go for training first.

If you can find time to look at the (Canadian) material I previously referred, you will see that certain fruits and vegetables were found to be able to be grouped in a reasonably standard (risk) format whereas others could not. AS's previous post illustrated some possible reasons for such eventualities.

I suppose you might consider re-locating to Canada to avoid microbiological examination?
:smile:
Rgds / Charles.C

How I wish to be relocated in Canada. Going back to microbiological test, I’m not trying to avoid it. It’s just that this particular subsidiary is purely distribution of fresh fruits and vegetables, thus they don’t have their own laboratory. If microbiological test is a requirement to ensure food safety, then 2 things: they could either use other subsidiary’s laboratory or install their own laboratory.

You see? The materials you previously referred are VERY GOOD but have a common knowledge drawback: they COST. That’s the reason why I mentioned earlier the top management food safety trainings.

Edited by mind over matter, 10 June 2011 - 04:13 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

Dear Mom,

You see? The materials you previously referred are VERY GOOD but have a common knowledge drawback: they COST. That’s the reason why I mentioned earlier the top management food safety trainings.

?? The documents I was referring to initially are FREE.

See this post –

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__36566

and attachment DOC1a, one main link in it is –

http://www.omafra.go..._assessment.htm

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Dear Mom,

?? The documents I was referring to initially are FREE.

See this post –

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__36566

and attachment DOC1a, one main link in it is –

http://www.omafra.go..._assessment.htm

Rgds / Charles.C

Favorite Charles,

You've misunderstood the point of my post, which had to do with management commitment, accountability and provision of resource. It involves financial considerations.
Sorry my statements were not clear. :oops:

Edited by mind over matter, 10 June 2011 - 07:40 AM.

Strait Consulting

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

Why go crazy? Hire a good Consultant and be done with it. The 21st Century is all about specialization and outsourcing. (NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT).

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Why go crazy? Hire a good Consultant and be done with it. The 21st Century is all about specialization and outsourcing. (NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT).

I agree Strait. :smile: With regard to this website I outsource lot's of things, it's usually quicker and cheaper...provided you can find a good outsourcee.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

QA assistant

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

Some questions on receiving of raw materials -
1. What will be the Maximum Residue Limit for fresh fruits and vegetables? What is the acceptable level of pesticide for each product?
Background, we have a lot of suppliers. We could require some suppliers especially the big ones of Residue COA, but may be not for small farmers/suppliers especially those who supplied us small quantity.
2. Do we need to do a laboratory test for Pesticides for small suppliers or not?

Hello there,
I just would like to share my insight for your concern... Hope I could help...
>for question number 1 - if you consider receiving as a CCP in your HACCP system then you must put up controls to eliminate or reduce risk to an acceptable level.
Just would like to ask, what products are you going to produce from these items? are they going to be sold directly to the end users or will there be further steps after receiving?

>for question number 2 - You must have an approved supplier program and in there you must justify why a specific supplier was picked up to supply goods to you. Suppliers must be compliant with your current local regulations / policies before they are chosen to supply goods / raw materials to you. You should also put up an ongoing ingredients verification where you send samples of raw materials you receive for microbiological analysis on an agreed frequency.
Just would like to ask, did you have further complaints / issues regarding pesticide presence in your finished products lately?

Question on washing-
If pesticides might be present in the raw materials received and washing is only being done for potatoes, can we justify that we cannot wash the rest of the fruits and vegetables because doing so is tedious considering that we have plenty of them?

>If you say washing is the control measure to eliminate risk of potential chemical hazards, you must stick to it. In my experience, we usually do produce disinfection step after washing because washing alone may or may not remove chemical hazards but never a microbiological hazard.

Follow up question on Hazard Analysis-
From previous replies, I’ve learned that there is no need for us to do a microbiological laboratory test for each fruit and vegetable because the volume is too many. How do we identify the severity and likelihood of microbiological hazards (if any) and conclude as reasonable likely to occur without doing a laboratory test? Please enlighten me.

>Are you doing laboratory testing before for every batch your receive before?

Can anyone help with this? My appreciation in advance.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users