What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Bread smells like nail polish remover

Started by , Jan 14 2015 07:01 PM
8 Replies

Can anyone explain why bad bread can sometimes smell like nail polish remover or acetone?

I have a rather important complaint on this matter and cannot find the science to explain it!

Thank's!

Tamale

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Standard Bread Baking Method Documents for Bread Quality Control team Low Acid Hermetically Sealed Bread Item pH of Bread Dough
[Ad]

Maybe this person had a sandwich with those chips?

https://www.youtube....h?v=H7LVBvYk_iQ

This problem is nearly always caused by the wild yeast, endomycopsis. This yeast is found in nature and is carried into the plant by air currents. The yeast converts starch into acetone, which is the odor detected in the bread. The yeast can best be eliminated by washing the equipment with vinegar.

AIB FAQ

Marshall

4 Likes1 Thank

If you don't do so already, I'd suggest getting some PDA plates and do some air sampling in your post bake areas. You may have high counts of yeast in the air.

Marshall

sounds like Butyric notes associated with pineapple and nail  vanish notes linked to rope and bacillus formation.

1 Thank

This problem is nearly always caused by the wild yeast, endomycopsis. This yeast is found in nature and is carried into the plant by air currents. The yeast converts starch into acetone, which is the odor detected in the bread. The yeast can best be eliminated by washing the equipment with vinegar.

AIB FAQ

Marshall

Thaks mgourley, this is exactly what I needed!

Tamale

1 Thank

Hello, I´ve been asked to consult on this same issue in Buenos Aires, Argentinas, bigest factory at that time (loong time ago). It was a fermentation or Pichia membranifaciens. It was on the environment - and the packaging area had several structural issues, where ambient cross contamination could be a cause,

Hope this helps you!

Leila

Dear All,

I was certain that this OP would get zero solutions. :smile:

Some truly amazing posts. :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

2 Likes

Hi there, have u found a solution to this? I am also having problems like this. My croissants smell like nail polish remover which i believe it gets the smell from the proofer. I would really appreciate it if you can suggest some solutions.

Similar Discussion Topics
ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Standard Bread Baking Method Documents for Bread Quality Control team Low Acid Hermetically Sealed Bread Item pH of Bread Dough Root cause and solution for sporadic complaints of mould with MAP bread Is an apple, cheese or bread GRAS? Rapid Micro test of bread ? Bulk frozen bread rolls weights How to justify freezable claim on bread product pack?