Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:13 PM

Hello, FSQ professionals- In reviewing the topic of GRAS. In reading regulations, I interpret GRAS as necessary for FOOD ADDITIVES only, but I am having trouble finding a specific regulatory reference to support this conclusion. Is a base FOOD like an APPLE or CHEESE, or  BREAD- GRAS-? I feel like all of these are GRAS b/c of their presence in the US food supply Pre- '58, but also they do not require GRAS b/c they are not food additives. Thoughts-?

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

No, your apple wouldn't be GRAS unless it's on one of the FDA lists (Title 21-->Chapter 1--> SubChapter B-->(several lists here))

GRAS is a specific designator (Generally Recognized as Safe) that the FDA uses for additives and other chemicals. 

Your apple, cheese, and bread are all edible products that fall under other FSMA requirements.

Some info can be found here along with the links to the lists (yay I produce 2 things on them):

https://www.fda.gov/...nized-safe-gras

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

you can also use GRAS for packaging, i/e glass bottles/jars   in this case GRAS is based on historical use

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

you can also use GRAS for packaging, i/e glass bottles/jars   in this case GRAS is based on historical use

I've also been told corporations can self affirm GRAS by following some stringent FDA guidelines (testing and..stuff?) and then submit to FDA for GRAS backing. I tried to get AkzoNobel (Nouryon now?) to self certify a chemical and submit to FDA. 

I got laughed at, in a nice way.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GRAS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users