What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Corn labelling (corn starch as an additive)

Started by , Dec 09 2015 01:48 PM
4 Replies

supplier uses corn starch  (Less than 2% of the sprinkled confectionary sugar.)  as an antistick agent... it equals to 2g/100g of product

should this be on a label as containing corn ?

this is for the Canadain and US market.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
GMO Testing for Organic Corn Does anyone have a corn dough HACCP plan? Corn grain - cross contact with other grains - risk? Hydrolyzed vegetable or corn protein replacements in rice seasoning? pH & Water Activity Concern Arepas (Corn sandwich) with Mozzarella cheese
[Ad]

In my opinion yes, it does need to be listed. This may be of some help for you here.

Yes it must...on what basis do you think it should not?

Thanks brianweber and Simon
This just came to me for review..the supplier 'claims' it's a processing aid and wasn't declaring it .they use it as an anti stick agent in the dried fruits like papaya and mangoes. I was just curious to get some of the groups input before I send them my review.none of the competitors ( even though they buy from same supplier) do declare the corn starch though... Or it's just maybe they didn't bother to challenge the supplier....

FDA Sec. 101.100 Food; exemptions from labeling.

incidental additives that are present in a food at insignificant levels and do not have any technical or functional effect in that food. For the purposes of this paragraph  

(a)(3), incidental additives are:

(i) Substances that have no technical or functional effect but are present in a food by reason of having been incorporated into the food as an ingredient of another food, in which the substance did have a functional or technical effect.

(ii) Processing aids, which are as follows:

(a ) Substances that are added to a food during the processing of such food but are removed in some manner from the food before it is packaged in its finished form.

(b ) Substances that are added to a food during processing, are converted into constituents normally present in the food, and do not significantly increase the amount of the constitutents naturally found in the food.

(c ) Substances that are added to a food for their technical or functional effect in the processing but are present in the finished food at insignificant levels and do not have any technical or functional effect in that food.

See: http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=101.100

Corn starch isn't a "Top 8" allergen defined by FDA, therefore does not fall under the allergen declaration regs, corn starch can be considered a processing aid and thus not need to be declared on label if it is present at insignificant levels and does not have any technical or functional effect in the finished product.

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
GMO Testing for Organic Corn Does anyone have a corn dough HACCP plan? Corn grain - cross contact with other grains - risk? Hydrolyzed vegetable or corn protein replacements in rice seasoning? pH & Water Activity Concern Arepas (Corn sandwich) with Mozzarella cheese 6-hour time and temperature rule RTE Arepas (corn bread sandwich packed with cheese) Corn Starch - Parameters to test ? Looking for an alternative to using corn brooms on our plant floor? Mold Growth on corn husks Importing corn flour to India from the EU