What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microbiology what levels are too high in seeds used in bakery?

Started by , Nov 21 2016 03:13 PM
2 Replies

Hello all,

I work in a seed packing and sorting plant. the seeds are intended for the bakery industry, so like sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.

Currently I am busy with renewing all our specification and I noticed that our microbiological limits are all over the place.

I want to standardize the limits but because there are no legal limits and the products need to be heated, I find it hard to find good limits.

Here is an example of the micro limits for sesame seeds:

• Aerobic Plate Count: 1.000.000 cfu/g
  • Entrobacteriaceae: 100.000 cfu/g
  • E.Colli: 100 cfu/g
  • Moulds: 5.000 cfu/g
  • Yeasts: 5.000 cfu/g
  • Salmonella: absent in 25 gr
  • Staphylococcus aureus: 10 cfu/g
  • Bacillus cereus: 1.000 cfu/g
  • Coliforms: 10.000 cfu/g

At what levels would something become harmful for our customer.

Is there some standard that, for example, E-coli 1000 cfu/g increases the change of illness significantly?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Fresh Garlic Microbiology Fruit Juice Microbiology Does anybody know the specs for microbiology results on raw material liquid sucrose? Microbiology Criteria Standard for Environmental Monitoring Program Food microbiology results for Chicken and Soup
[Ad]

This was interesting to read. HERE

Hello all,

I work in a seed packing and sorting plant. the seeds are intended for the bakery industry, so like sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.

Currently I am busy with renewing all our specification and I noticed that our microbiological limits are all over the place.

I want to standardize the limits but because there are no legal limits and the products need to be heated, I find it hard to find good limits.

Here is an example of the micro limits for sesame seeds:

• Aerobic Plate Count: 1.000.000 cfu/g  - Not directly safety related.
  • Entrobacteriaceae: 100.000 cfu/g - Not directly safety related.
  • E.Coli: 100 cfu/g - Not usually regarded as safety related. unless a pathogenic species is specified, (eg E.coli O157)
  • (1) Moulds: 5.000 cfu/g - Might be indirectly safety Related, eg via mycotoxins. Legal limits for mycotoxins depend on  location**. Similarly limits for mould itself.
  • Yeasts: 5.000 cfu/g - Not usually safety related afaik.
  • (2) Salmonella: absent in 25 gr - safety Related. Legal limit is usually zero.
  • (3) Staphylococcus aureus: 10 cfu/g - indirectly safety related (via toxin). High Risk* if S.aureus COP > 10^4 cfu/gram
  • (4) Bacillus cereus: 1.000 cfu/g - indirectly safety related (via toxin). High Risk* if B.cereus  > 10^4 cfu/gram
  • Coliforms: 10.000 cfu/g - Not directly safety related.

At what levels would something become harmful for our customer.

Is there some standard that, for example, E-coli 1000 cfu/g increases the change of illness significantly?

Hi Dongilles,

I presume the spec. is before any heating.

approx. half of spec. is related to safety IMO.

* taken from UK/HPA micro.guidelines for RTE foods

** eg see -

http://www.ifst.org/...ents/mycotoxins

These random sesame links may also be of some interest (many more on the Net)-

http://www.accuragro...al-sesame-seeds

http://www.ifsqn.com...eds/#entry40762

Similar Discussion Topics
Fresh Garlic Microbiology Fruit Juice Microbiology Does anybody know the specs for microbiology results on raw material liquid sucrose? Microbiology Criteria Standard for Environmental Monitoring Program Food microbiology results for Chicken and Soup Microbiology Standard for Meat Processing Plant Microbiology Sampling Plan Microbiology of Frozen Whitebait Microbiology criteria for margarine, butter and milk Need some help with food microbiology calculation