• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

I am currently writing a hazard analysis risk assessment for the battering and breading of frozen whitebait. I've included all of the more common microorganisms that can create problems but I'm a bit stumped on Clostridium botulinum. I read in several places on the internet that this amounted to as much as 30% of all outbreaks of fish related illness (that's far too big a number to not address) but my understanding is that this particular microbe is an anaerobe, preferring the absence of oxygen. Our product is neither vacuum packed or MAP packaged - so is this microbe still a concern for us? 

I would very much appreciate any comments as I am overthinking this.

Thank You In Advance

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:28 PM

I'm not with fish industry, but you're right about clostr. botulinum - that's more for canned or whatever you've mentioned ways of packing. But let's see what fish expects say:)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:11 AM

Hi,

I am currently writing a hazard analysis risk assessment for the battering and breading of frozen whitebait. I've included all of the more common microorganisms that can create problems but I'm a bit stumped on Clostridium botulinum. I read in several places on the internet that this amounted to as much as 30% of all outbreaks of fish related illness (that's far too big a number to not address) but my understanding is that this particular microbe is an anaerobe, preferring the absence of oxygen. Our product is neither vacuum packed or MAP packaged - so is this microbe still a concern for us? 

I would very much appreciate any comments as I am overthinking this.

Thank You In Advance

Hi Dee,

I assume the process is battering/breading of raw fish followed by freezing and the final product is classified as raw frozen. In which case the answer is No. Generic hazard identification attached.

Attached File  seafood process hazards.pdf   157.35KB   8 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users