What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Categories A and B in BRC

Started by , Feb 28 2006 07:17 AM
14 Replies
I have seen an audit BRC checklist. Please tell me what mean categories A and B assigned against each requirement (check item).
Regards,
BA
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Labelling reference portion CFIA categories Environmental Monitoring (Food Chain Categories C, I & K) (Clause 2.5.7) Procedure for FSSC 22000 Version 5 - 2.5.7 - Environmental Monitoring (Food Chain Categories C, I and K) Do I need to elaborate FSMA for each product or can I use product categories? HACCP Categories for Food Processes?
[Ad]
Hello Bon,

The new BRC version 4 now gives an overall grade for the audit. Non conformances are still marked as Minor, Major, Critical and Fundamental but the number / severity of non conformances you get reflects on your grade.

So if you get 10 or less minors you get grade A, up to 2 major / 20 minor grade B, up to 1 critical/3major/21 minor grade C, 1 or more fundemental grade D.

With grade A and B your evaluation frequency will be 12 months, grade C - 6 months, grade D - no certificate.

If you buy a copy of the BRC standard all this is explained at the back. Please also note that to have a BRC audit you must have an copy of th standard - no standard, no audit!

If you buy a copy of the BRC standard all this is explained at the back. Please also note that to have a BRC audit you must have an copy of th standard - no standard, no audit!

Clever eh?

At first I thought Bon's wanted an audit checklist for BRC Packaging Standard (Cat A/B), but I get it now.

Has the information Yorky provided helped you Bon?

Regards,
Simon

Hello Bon,

The new BRC version 4 now gives an overall grade for the audit. Non conformances are still marked as Minor, Major, Critical and Fundamental but the number / severity of non conformances you get reflects on your grade.

So if you get 10 or less minors you get grade A, up to 2 major / 20 minor grade B, up to 1 critical/3major/21 minor grade C, 1 or more fundemental grade D.

With grade A and B your evaluation frequency will be 12 months, grade C - 6 months, grade D - no certificate.

Hello All.

Is it an actual requirement to have the standard in place, as in the past I have allways obtained a photocopy of the standard and have never been formally asked for a copy. Would this be a specific certification body requirement as opposed to a formal BRC requirement.

Regards,

Gary.

Is it an actual requirement to have the standard in place, as in the past I have allways obtained a photocopy of the standard and have never been formally asked for a copy. Would this be a specific certification body requirement as opposed to a formal BRC requirement.

Our certification body state that we must have a copy of the standard but it would be interesting to know if others do.

Remember that the standard is copyrighted and should not be photocopied in full.

Our certification body state that we must have a copy of the standard but it would be interesting to know if others do.

Remember that the standard is copyrighted and should not be photocopied in full.

Yorkshire,

Just went through BRC audit 3 weeks ago and it was never mentioned, perphaps its just assumed.

Gary.
Has the information Yorky provided helped you Bon?
Regards,
Simon
[/quote]

Yes Simon, it has and... Thank you Yorky!
No, I do not need any checklist. The one I had by chamce was just a subject to analysis. Now, I understand that A, B, C and D are just grades for compliance and I am wondering why C (and eventually D) were missing in that list?

Regrads,
BA

Hello Bon,

HEllo Yorkshire

Regarding your answer, I would like to ask you if there is some kind of guiance to decide if a non compliance is minor, major or critical. If not, is it up to the BRC auditor ?

Thank you in advance

Regards
Esther

I think it depends very much on the certification body
I have read the BRC Standard and i can't see it saying that you have to have a copy, only that you have to demonstrate that you are working against the new standard! If i'm wrong, can someone tell me what page it's on!

thanks

Caz

I have read the BRC Standard and i can't see it saying that you have to have a copy, only that you have to demonstrate that you are working against the new standard! If i'm wrong, can someone tell me what page it's on!

I've had a good look through the standard and I can't find it either! It must be our inspection company, I will have a word with them at our next audit.

I've had a good look through the standard and I can't find it either! It must be our inspection company, I will have a word with them at our next audit.

I think major and minor are based on the ISO audit principles. So for example for the record keeping item (2.11.4).. if you have no records at all this is critical, if you have records but all are not legible or all are not authorised then it is a major and if one or some records only are missing a signature or have illegible data, then it is a minor.
I was originally told by a consultant that the word 'shall' was another determining criterion (as in ISO9k2k), ie all 'shall' items are must haves so that a noncompliance was relatively easy to cause a major defect compared to the 'nonshalls'. Hovever the actual auditors didn't seem to follow this theory as far as I could see so maybe it depends on the auditor again. Additionally, if you look thru the BRC standard, there are an amazing lot of 'shalls' so again, not so sure.

Rgds / Charles.C

think major and minor are based on the ISO audit principles. So for example for the record keeping item (2.11.4).. if you have no records at all this is critical, if you have records but all are not legible or all are not authorised then it is a major and if one or some records only are missing a signature or have illegible data, then it is a minor.

I have attached a document comparing IFS version 4 and BRC version 4. On page 7 it explains the differences between Major and Minor,

Comparison BRC Version 4 and IFS Version 4.pdf   297.45KB   24 downloads

cheers

I have attached a document comparing IFS version 4 and BRC version 4. On page 7 it explains the differences between Major and Minor,

cheers

Hi
i need some information about BRC and IFS differences , i couldnt download this attachment.
could you send this file ,please.
thank you

Hi
i need some information about BRC and IFS differences , i couldnt download this attachment.
could you send this file ,please.
thank you

Sorry for the delay Haleh, I replaced the file.

Regards,
Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Labelling reference portion CFIA categories Environmental Monitoring (Food Chain Categories C, I & K) (Clause 2.5.7) Procedure for FSSC 22000 Version 5 - 2.5.7 - Environmental Monitoring (Food Chain Categories C, I and K) Do I need to elaborate FSMA for each product or can I use product categories? HACCP Categories for Food Processes? With Issue 6 of BRC Packaging Materials removing the hygiene categories - what happens to my "high hygiene" certification from Issue 5? Food safety categories Food Sector Categories Want Us To Change Auditors Is SQF inspection based on categories or HACCP plans? Product Categories BRC Global Standard Appendix 6