What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sanitizers that exceeds 200ppm

Started by , Dec 29 2016 08:45 PM
5 Replies

Good Afternoon,

What would happen if your sanitizer exceeds 200ppm.  I know 200 ppm is safe but I can't find anywhere that states the conditions or effects if it exceeds...200ppm.

Please advise Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Foot Bath Sanitizers Rotating Sanitizers - can they both be QUAT Sanitizers? Quat based Sanitizers use in Food Industry Are sanitizers considered food-grade chemicals? Does anyone have the regulations or format of how hand sanitizers must be code dated?
[Ad]

Good Afternoon,

What would happen if your sanitizer exceeds 200ppm.  I know 200 ppm is safe but I can't find anywhere that states the conditions or effects if it exceeds...200ppm.

Please advise Thank you!

Hi smcdonald,

With due respect, yr query is unanswerable without more context.

eg which sanitizer, which application, how much exceeded ?

The answer is likely to be related to "Best Practice" but I am only speculating.

as charles said its difficult to answer. is this a no-rinse?

you  can just rinse it off i assume

Always read and follow the label directions.  What does the label say is your limit for your application?

As others have said follow the label instructions for the specific application method and the intended surface.  These two factors are critically important when determining safe levels of sanitizer use.  Still confused?  Check with your chemical supplier, they should be able to provide you with the technical information.

The lower limit for sanitisers is to ensure efficacy; not enough active ingredient equals not enough power to 'kill' microbes.

The upper limit for sanitisers, and I believe that the US FDA specifies upper limits for many sanitisers, is given for the following reasons:

• Potential toxicity
  • Flavour/tainting issues
  • Food quality issues (in the case of vegetable washes, for example)
  • Corrosion of equipment (think hypochlorite!)

So if you exceed 200ppm you might find yourself with one or all of the above problems in your facility.  If you are trying to make a food safety or recall decision after discovering a sanitiser was used at an incorrect (overdose) concentration you should contact the sanitiser supplier, ask to speak to their chemist and be very honest about how and where the overdosed sanitiser was used.  They should be able to help with your risk assessment.

Similar Discussion Topics
Foot Bath Sanitizers Rotating Sanitizers - can they both be QUAT Sanitizers? Quat based Sanitizers use in Food Industry Are sanitizers considered food-grade chemicals? Does anyone have the regulations or format of how hand sanitizers must be code dated? What kind of Hand Sanitizers do you prefer and why? Sanitizers for Drains How do I create a daily sanitizer check for all sanitizers used? Sanitizers for allergen & non-allergens Allergen statements for sanitizers and food grade lubricants