The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

Hi all! 

Quick question,

So my company (before I came they did this and continued when I came), use different sanitizers for allergen area and non-allergen. They use DrySan Duo (ecolab) for allergens surfaces and equipment and Chlorine or Quat ammonia for non allergen. Question, why can't we just use same sanitizer regardless of allergen or not? I don't see any purpose. Our allergen area is separate from non-allergen, its on the other side of the building. So we dont share equipment. Can we use same sanitizer for all surfaces? this can cut down costs. Thanks!

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SpiceyQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

I don't see why not. 

The only reason I can think of to keep the system is to make it apparent if someone moves the sanitizer from the allergen side to the non allergen side, thus cross contaminating your facility...

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Drysan Duo is a cleaner / sanitizer.  If you are wanting to change to one type of sanitizer which one do you prefer to choose?

Since you use ECOLAB get their input or advice because the type of sanitizer is really based on the type of facility and products you run versus allergen / non-allergen.

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

The only commercially available product that I am aware of that can truly sanitize allergens is Shout® laundry stain remover, which contains the enzyme subtilisin. It is capable of actually destroying proteins, hydrolyzing chemical bonds and breaking down the allergenic proteins into smaller and smaller chains of amino acids.

If one were to use Shout® for allergen sanitizing, I think it would only be feasible after regular cleaning and sanitizing had removed most of the macroscopic contamination. And it takes time to work, after which the Shout® itself would have to be cleaned off the surface. So I imagine it would only be useful in a situation where other cleaning and sanitizing attempts had demonstrably failed. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

Hi all! 

Quick question,

So my company (before I came they did this and continued when I came), use different sanitizers for allergen area and non-allergen. They use DrySan Duo (ecolab) for allergens surfaces and equipment and Chlorine or Quat ammonia for non allergen. Question, why can't we just use same sanitizer regardless of allergen or not? I don't see any purpose. Our allergen area is separate from non-allergen, its on the other side of the building. So we dont share equipment. Can we use same sanitizer for all surfaces? this can cut down costs. Thanks!

Hi FS,

Regarding the above see this thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...allergen-clean/

Also consider this quote -

A great deal of emphasis is put on sanitising food contact surfaces for obviousr easons. However, it must be understood that sanitisers do not remove residue,including allergen protein.

Attached File  implementing an allergen cleaning validation program.pdf   43.59KB   29 downloads

these 2, inter-related,  documents from hygiena may also be of interest -

Attached File  Hygiena Allergen White Paper,2015.pdf   708.25KB   21 downloads

Attached File  allergen control and cleaning,2015.pdf   98.33KB   28 downloads

Based on above, the answers to yr OP would appear to be -

(1) Take care with semantics,

(2) It may depend on what cleaning /sanitizing situation you are talking about

(3) it's a good, probably non-quick, question for Ecolab

This document also looked quite useful -

Attached File  FDA,2017, Cleaning Strategies to Remove allergens and methods for assessment of efficiency.pdf   1.46MB   45 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users