What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

APC increase from 100cfu/g to 2,500, what does it mean?

Started by , Mar 07 2018 08:41 PM
2 Replies

Hi, I don't have a micro background.  An APC that has gone from 100cfu/g before packing process to 2500.  Is this an indicator that bacteria may be present?  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Increase in Vitamin D in fortified Milk How to increase the shelf life of cream cheese? How to increase the shelf life of bread from 1/2 day to 4 days? Validation Study to the increase in Tropomyocin/Allergen level in crab Will cleaning floors with hypochloride increase the contamination?
[Ad]

Hi, I don't have a micro background.  An APC that has gone from 100cfu/g before packing process to 2500.  Is this an indicator that bacteria may be present?  

Hi foodpkg,

One cfu (colony forming unit) is assumed to be attributable to at least one bacterium.

So Yes.

I use APC counts as a monitoring tool for sanitation conditions that existed at the time of manufacture.  If the results go up from 100 cfu/g to 2,500 cfu/g, then I would say it is time for a thorough cleaning of all process equipment and the floors/walls in that area.

Similar Discussion Topics
Increase in Vitamin D in fortified Milk How to increase the shelf life of cream cheese? How to increase the shelf life of bread from 1/2 day to 4 days? Validation Study to the increase in Tropomyocin/Allergen level in crab Will cleaning floors with hypochloride increase the contamination? How Six Sigma Can Increase Plant Food Safety and Profitability How to increase the viscosity of egg white? Help with protein increase formula ISO 9001:2015 to Increase Senior Management Involvement with the QMS Ideas to increase the shelf life of Granola biscuits