What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Validating Fish Allergen Sanitation based on other Allergen validation

Started by , Jul 09 2018 06:32 PM
6 Replies

The company I work for makes RTE jerky products. We are BRC certified and just had our audit last month. We deal with soy and wheat as allergens and have them both validated by using Neogen swab kits. However, we have a customer that wants to use fish sauce in a new recipe. Fish is obviously much more difficult to test for as there are no (to my knowledge) test kits available.

My question is this: Can we validate our sanitation for fish allergens based on our validation for soy and wheat? Our SOP's and SSOP's are the same regardless of the allergens.

Thank you. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Validating microbiological testing in-house Procedure for Verifying and Validating a Data Logger Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Validating trimmed dough reprocess BRCGS - Food Safety Issue 9 - 2.7.4. Validating Prerequisites
[Ad]

I would still ensure the current SOPs and SSOPs are sufficient for removing the fish allergen. There are some fish allergen kits around, otherwise you can send to an external lab. I believe Romer labs has a fish test kit. Eurofins is an external lab that does allergen testing.

The Neogen swab kit is only a qualitative verification; an ELISA test on the finished product would give you a quantitative value in ppm; however, you could run some tests and send equipment surface swabs and finished product to an external lab.

http://foodsafety.neogen.com/en/fish

Contact your Neogen rep - they have something for your needs.

2 Thanks

You would need the associated materials for those PCR tests:

1. BioKits DNA Extraction Kit (Speciation; Cat No. 901040N)
  2. Hot Start Taq DNA Polymerase
  3. 0.2 mL (thin-walled) PCR tubes, 0.5 mL or 1.5 mL Eppendorf-type tubes
  4. PCR machine, preferably with heated-lid facility and ramping at 4°C/sec
  5. Microlitre-type pipettes (sizes 10, 20, 200, 1000 µL) and disposable filter tips
  6. Vortex mixer
  7. Ethidium bromide solution, to be used at a final concentration of 0.5 µg/mL
  8. Agarose gel suitable for analysis of DNA fragments <1 kb
  9. 0.5 x Tris-borate EDTA (TBE) buffer

Potentially another thing you could do is test the histamine levels in the fish oil and then use the Reveal 3D swab for histamine (single step lateral flow assay) or the veratox/alert for histamine (ELISA method; much longer but more quantitative).

2 Thanks

OR you could switch to vegan and eliminate the hazard altogether!

"When flavor-boosting nucleotides are paired with glutamates, the perception of umami is significantly increased. Sure enough, a salty broth made with dried shiitake mushrooms (rich in nucleotides) and soy sauce (glutamates) provided just the right meaty punch as a 1:1 substitute for fish sauce.

Here’s how to make it: In a saucepan, simmer 3 cups of water, ¼ ounce of dried sliced shiitake mushrooms, 3 tablespoons of salt, and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce over medium heat until reduced by half. Strain, cool, and store in the fridge for up to three weeks."

Chances are the shitake is a lot cheaper than sardines these days too

1 Thank

Claimed to be applicable to fish allergens and seemingly not PCR.

http://www.tecnalab....ning-plan-229-2

https://www.romerlab...rgen-test-kits/

See link (may provide some usefulness)

http://www.ifsqn.com...study/?p=128155

Similar Discussion Topics
Validating microbiological testing in-house Procedure for Verifying and Validating a Data Logger Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Validating trimmed dough reprocess BRCGS - Food Safety Issue 9 - 2.7.4. Validating Prerequisites Validating Expiration Dates of Colourings Validating Label Claims Validating the removal of CCP Pasteurization Validating X-ray detector Validating and verifying documents in a digital format