Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:02 PM

I am questioning a procedure in place to verify the usb data loggers we have for freezer/cooler room temperatures.  Current procedure is to remove cylinder from drywell and set the data logger in the cavity for an hour.  I don't feel like this is accurate without a metal insert sized to a usb and the cavity gets condensation in it.  I work in dairy industry we only verify the data loggers. They come in calibrated once but when out of spec from the drywell verification, they are thrown away.  Are there any SQF rules for managing these?  I am new to the warehouse QA position.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:28 AM

Greetings Ajbuilta,

Why don't you verify them by comparison to a calibrated thermometer. You check the temperature in specific places in the storage rooms (most commonly the corners and the geometrical center and then do the statistical analysis for a timed interval) and you compare this with the records from the data logger (for the same amount).

If something is off from your set limits then discard it!

Condensation could cause a problem, but the comparison should also provide you with such information. Meaning if you buy a new data logger and readings are off then yes, you should somehow avoid condensation (!!!)

Regards!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,533 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:59 AM

Are you talking about validating re: ensuring the datalogger is still accurate?  If yes, then you need a master certified thermometer for comparison and I don't see why you'd handle the unit any differently then when it is in use

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users