What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Moving to aluminum trays and need advice on metal detectors?

Started by , Mar 06 2020 02:47 PM
10 Replies

Hello, 

We are a small seafood manufacturer and currently use Styrofoam trays w/ overwrap or plastic trays w/heat seal to package our product. Currently, the abbreviated process steps are cooking >> iqf >> packaging >> metal detection >> cold storage. Obviously, metal detection is one of our CCPs. The company wants to move to using aluminum tray packaging, which is a dilemma for me as QA Manager. A process change (e.g., metal detector before packaging) would not suffice as the wrapping machines and sealers have metal parts. X-rays are currently far beyond budget. Any ideas for me as far as risk assessment for a process change... or any ideas in general?

Thanks! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New BRC Ver 9 - Moving Stationary Equipment Certification audit timing when moving to a new factory? Moving to a different country in a food safety role Changing procedure when moving from low risk to high risk, high care Moving from IFS to FSSC22000
[Ad]

I am not sure why any company would want to use aluminum trays.

Outside of X-ray the only thing I can think of is that you would need to sent the product thru the detector without the tray and then add the tray.

If they don't want to go to the needed expense of using X-Ray, well, there you have it.

1 Like1 Thank

Hi SQFConsultant - the idea for the aluminum tray is that it is ovenable and recyclable (that's all a sales and marketing thing, of course) - but I agree with your response. Just making sure that I have exhausted all my thought options before having to put my foot down for HACCP compliance and food safety reasons. If it is that important to have aluminum packaging, then we will need to shell out the cash. 

Outside of X-ray the only thing I can think of is that you would need to sent the product thru the detector without the tray and then add the tray.

If they don't want to go to the needed expense of using X-Ray, well, there you have it.

Hi SQFConsultant - the idea for the aluminum tray is that it is ovenable and recyclable (that's all a sales and marketing thing, of course) - but I agree with your response. Just making sure that I have exhausted all my thought options before having to put my foot down for HACCP compliance and food safety reasons. If it is that important to have aluminum packaging, then we will need to shell out the cash. 

Maybe a two step packaging process, package product and then package with tray? 

1 Like1 Thank

Well, I'd be asking marketing if they have actually looked into whether people want to cook on aluminum, I sure as heck don't!

1 Thank
Hi nathannaughton,

I'm new to this forum, However we had come across a similar discussion whit our foil trays.

Mettler Toledo did have a solution using a metal detector - however we ended up installing X-rays and never followed up on their proposal. 

1 Thank

Hi Bobby. Thanks for your reply... they told us that they have a testing lab that could determine the minimum size of metal that could be detected if the sensitivity was decreased to prevent false positives from the aluminum tray. Is this similar to what they told you? 

Hi nathannaughton,

I'm new to this forum, However we had come across a similar discussion whit our foil trays.

Mettler Toledo did have a solution using a metal detector - however we ended up installing X-rays and never followed up on their proposal. 

Morning Nathan,

Yes they had told us the same - We were to supply the finished product for testing (10 samples).

These were to be used for validating the test pieces and best aperture size for the detector head.

Regards

Bobby

Hello, 

We are a small seafood manufacturer and currently use Styrofoam trays w/ overwrap or plastic trays w/heat seal to package our product. Currently, the abbreviated process steps are cooking >> iqf >> packaging >> metal detection >> cold storage. Obviously, metal detection is one of our CCPs. The company wants to move to using aluminum tray packaging, which is a dilemma for me as QA Manager. A process change (e.g., metal detector before packaging) would not suffice as the wrapping machines and sealers have metal parts. X-rays are currently far beyond budget. Any ideas for me as far as risk assessment for a process change... or any ideas in general?

Thanks! 

You may need to do a little googling.

IIRC I previously posted a picture here of a claimed aluminium-compatible MD which seemed to possess  a quite respectable sensitivity for iron detection.

PS - sorry, I only pasted the spec, here it is -

https://www.ifsqn.co...or/#entry150486

PPS - some info here -

https://www.anritsu....n/aluminum-pack

1 Thank

Ferrous in foil metal detectors are an option but at the expense of detecting anything that isn't ferrous in nature and at a larger detection size than through a conventional head, S/S detection is also affected. This would likely mean a new metal detector anyway, likely a dual head machine so may well be worth looking down the xray route any-hand.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
New BRC Ver 9 - Moving Stationary Equipment Certification audit timing when moving to a new factory? Moving to a different country in a food safety role Changing procedure when moving from low risk to high risk, high care Moving from IFS to FSSC22000 Mold remediation and temporary moving processing areas Seriously considering moving over to cannabis compliance Challenges moving from BRC to SQF Moving pest control in-house How to clean tools and equipment when moving from soybean oil to palm oil?