What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Combining Swaps in Environmental Pathogen Monitoring Plan

Started by , Jul 19 2023 02:41 PM
5 Replies
Hello everyone ;

There is something I want to discuss. Can we combine swaps taken from different points in Zone 2-3 and 4 ? You might think that different spots have the same risk? Let's assume that there are 10 workbenches in the sample production area. Such as taking 1 sample from 5 pieces and having it analyzed.

Thank you. 
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to list ingredients when combining prepared products? Combining Refrigerator + Cold Water Thawing Combining audits and checklists? Combining Your HACCP and HARPC Food Safety Plans Combining 11.3 Personnel into one document/policy statement?
[Ad]

Hi,

We do composite swabs of certain areas. For example, we take a composite swab of the bottom part of the equipment in one area and then break the swabs down if there is a presumptive positive to determine the source of the positive.

the problem is---what then???? way more work for you in the event of a positive on your composite 

We run all swabs as individuals not composites

Scampi,

You make a good point. We composite swabs in order to save a little bit on testing. But when we receive a positive on the composite swab, we treat it as if all areas had tested positive and go from there, based on the assessed risks.

Hello everyone ;

There is something I want to discuss. Can we combine swaps taken from different points in Zone 2-3 and 4 ? You might think that different spots have the same risk? Let's assume that there are 10 workbenches in the sample production area. Such as taking 1 sample from 5 pieces and having it analyzed.

Thank you. 

Hi QAFE,

It's almost a textbook question.

The answer is well known for sampling an isolated lot of product for Salmonella.

Unstated which pathogen is involved but assuming it's a zero-tolerant one a basic answer is spelled out in post 3.

One might add that it also seems intuitively  illogical to mix samples from regions which have already been separately risk categorised.

If yr results on individual samples are routinely negative, you may choose to play roulette  by appropriately combining (assuming you can demonstrate that no analytical sensitivity is thereby lost).

I'm with charles and scampi

There really is no reason to combine swabs other that save money.   I'm all for saving money and I think there are legitimate way for quality and food safety personnel to make a positive financial impact.   However, this probably is not one of them.   

Similar Discussion Topics
How to list ingredients when combining prepared products? Combining Refrigerator + Cold Water Thawing Combining audits and checklists? Combining Your HACCP and HARPC Food Safety Plans Combining 11.3 Personnel into one document/policy statement? SQF Auditor Statement -- Combining Minors to Make a Major Combining multiple products on one metal detection record Combining similar products in food safety plan - expert advice needed Combining Risk assessment and Hazard Analysis CCP Determination Combining Multiple Process in to one HACCP Plan