• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi All,

I would like to know your opinion about combining multiple process in to one HACCP plan.

I am preparing a HACCP manual for an oil company. There are 5 different processing line with almost similar repacking activities (with different machines) and one for Margarine.

Can I combine all in to one HACCP plan ? I have 6 process flow diagrams and identified the different process steps.

Can I make one HACCP manual with all these process steps ? I find making 6 different HACCP manual might not be a value added job.

Your guidance would be much appreciated.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hi All,

I would like to know your opinion about combining multiple process in to one HACCP plan.

I am preparing a HACCP manual for an oil company. There are 5 different processing line with almost similar repacking activities (with different machines) and one for Margarine.

Can I combine all in to one HACCP plan ? I have 6 process flow diagrams and identified the different process steps.

Can I make one HACCP manual with all these process steps ? I find making 6 different HACCP manual might not be a value added job.

Dear mapry,

Frozen fruits, frozen vegetables and margarine. Interesting portfolio. :smile:

There are 5 different processing line with almost similar repacking activities (with different machines) and one for Margarine.

I deduce this means that one line is for repacking (???)  margarine, the other 5 are for repacking  "other products". 

You may need to explain the differences in the lines (or process diagrams).

The first criterion is that all five  six  lines have equivalent hazard analyses, eg, as a minimum the same CCPs ( if any).

After that, IMO, it depends on the details of the differences.

For example if the five other lines are for repacking different frozen vegetables and 5 + margarine have same CCP such as a metal detector the combination of lines still seems rather debatable since  the respective initial potential hazards are presumably quite  different ? Nonetheless, perhaps not impossible when compared to methods used in foodservice applications.

You might find this sort of analogous thread of interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ccp/#entry67002

It may also depend on whether the haccp manual is required to conform to any specific regulation(s).?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mapry2

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Charles for all your technical guidance.

We are packing different types of Canola oil in five different production lines for different container size. There are no CCP in place as its just repacking from bulk silo to retail unit.

The only place I have CCP is with Margarine i.e. Pasteurization temperature. 

I was thinking to combine all the steps like Receiving of Oil together for all the lines and make hazard analysis in my HACCP plan.

I am trying to find out a way to simplify all these 6 lines to one HACCP Manual instead of making repeating the common steps like ( Receiving of Raw and Packaging material, Storage, Packing in to retail container, Storage etc) in 6 different HACCP manuals.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Dear mapry,

Technically, it can be argued that no CCP implies no haccp plan. Some experts may differ. I assume you are going to call it a haccp plan regardless. :smile:

I anticipate that the best you can do is finish with 2 haccp plans due to CCP differences. Possible to have >1 haccp plan in one haccp manual of course. :smile:

Combination of 5 x Canola  processes then looks very similar to the thread I cross-linked in previous post.

The tricky part is that each input / output will presumably have a (slightly) different product specification. ( perhaps one  given oil into more than one container size ?).

Optimally, for identical  manipulation processes / single container size per oil, you could code these, eg X1,X2,…X5 (or X1Y1, X1Y2,..X5Y2 if  5x[2 container sizes]) and simply refer to X(XY) in the “one” haccp plan. Then attach a composite set of the individual specification options within the haccp manual.

(Or use a matrix approach if you like such elegance but maybe overkill unless you have numerous container sizes per oil.)

(haccp is uninterested in different container sizes so easiest option, if possible, is to include size variations on same specification > total only 5 specs > X1, X2 etc)

But the above obviously assumes same process ?. if not same then may become complicated.

Also this combined format may not be suitable for yr customer’s onward  usage ? (similar problem previous linked thread).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi All,

I make one HACCP Manual (and HACCP Plan) for different type of products (biscuits and wafers) and the auditor seemed fine with that

MrHACCP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Dear Mapry

In this case, for the products that are simply different pack sizes do in one HACCP plan. I would do separate HACCP plans in this situation only if the processing criteria differ significantly  (e.g. different product completely, different processing or storage temperatures, special processess, storage times and conditions, addition of differing ingredients, etc).

What we have to remember about HACCP is a producers responsibility to make sure their food safety HACCP plan is effective through documentation, implementation and then verification and validation activities.This means that if a more generic HACCP plan helps with the actual implementation and adoption of the HACCP plan by staff such that it is actually put into use then you are completely justified in doing it that way - HACCP is all about what 'actually works' in controlling safe food and drink production.

I hope that helps.

Jim  Flynn

HACCP Now

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I have 1 HACCP plan and 1 flow diagram

The incoming and EOL activity is the same for everything (although may be packed in different sizes) I just have a separate table for eah of the processes

The flow diagram just divides off to all the processes.

I have had no trouble get it passed an auditor.

My HACCP Manual is also all in 1 (we do have a separate unit and HACCP that produces a totally different product, but that is all covered in the manual)

Caz

pablo coronel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Ecuador
    Ecuador

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Since your "process" is identical for all the repack activities, with the exceptio of the bottle size/type. I would assume you can bundle it into one HACCP plan/manual

However, tables for each specification may be required.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

hi Caz,

is EOL a Welsh acronym ? (sort of sounds like something down in the Valley) ?

Rgds / Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

EOL = End of Line

lmugs

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Zimbabwe
    Zimbabwe

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

I am very sure its possible to have one HACCP Plan but considering you have 6 different processes this implies you might have 6 flow diagrams for each process. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users