What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microbiological Limits for non-dairy ice cream

Started by , Aug 15 2023 06:19 PM
6 Replies

Hello,

We are producing non-dairy ice cream which half of the products are made with only water and the other half is made with coconut base.

I am having a hard time finding microbiological limits which we need to adhere to for compliance with the FDA.

I am in need of yeast and mold allowable limits.

Is there a way to find out the standard?

Thank you for all help!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Microbiological Test Standard High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Microbiological testing of whole herb (berry, root, etc.) Microbiological testing Microbiological swabs in plastic films industries and it's limit
[Ad]

Hi, welcome to the forum. Canadian regulations don't set standard for Y&M in non-dairy ice creams. Sorry, not sure about FDA.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that most food products don't have standards for yeast and mold. Look at the regulations for RTE food in the FDA. This is where you'll find the micro guidelines you need to follow. 

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that most food products don't have standards for yeast and mold. Look at the regulations for RTE food in the FDA. This is where you'll find the micro guidelines you need to follow. 

Thank you!

If there are no micro guidlines what standard should we follow? If any at all?

Thank you!

Go to these links -

https://www.ifsqn.co...al/#entry127998

("com1" contains some Y&M data for certain items albeit probably not for specifically non-dairy)

https://www.ifsqn.co...ds/#entry127333

For yr Product, any limit would presumably be quite low. Do you have any measured data ?

Thank you!

FDA Appendix 1 will tell you the hazards you should worry about. Though your item may not be there. If the FDA doesn't have anything, I've used Canada and Australia reference documents. This is allowed by the FDA. 

https://www.fda.gov/.../99581/download

1 Like

Hello,

We are producing non-dairy ice cream which half of the products are made with only water and the other half is made with coconut base.

I am having a hard time finding microbiological limits which we need to adhere to for compliance with the FDA.

I am in need of yeast and mold allowable limits.

Is there a way to find out the standard?

Thank you for all help!

If it is not illicitly written in the FDA BAM, I'd probably look for a process authority in addition to looking at other countries methods so you've got a starting point. That's how we normally go about unfamiliar/new matrices... 

And honestly, I'd look at basal components of your product (high %'s) to determine likely pathogens in addition to considering the production environment cross contamination potential. Good luck and I hope this helps :)! 

Similar Discussion Topics
Microbiological Test Standard High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Microbiological testing of whole herb (berry, root, etc.) Microbiological testing Microbiological swabs in plastic films industries and it's limit Procedure for microbiological analysis Validating microbiological testing in-house Microbiological Limits for Finished Product Testing Microbiological criteria for Instant Noodle based on EU regulation GSO Std - Microbiological Standards for Foodstuffs requested