What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Definition of “Control Point”? - CCP's and CP's?

Started by , May 21 2007 05:21 PM
16 Replies
Does someone know the definition of “Control Point”?

Where can I find it? It is not in the Codex. Sometimes I heard that CP is equivalent to an OpPPR and other people say that a CP is always related to Quality (not Food Safety).
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
When is CAPA required and what is definition of a correction under SQF? Is anyone aware of a legal or regulatory definition of the food claim term 'simple'? What is the definition of food grade in relation to degreasers? Does anyone have a definition for product rework according to USDA guidelines? Clarification on ISO definition: Product Contact
[Ad]
Dear Erasmo,

There are many, many definitions, all I found seem to be spin-offs from the HACCP subject although the terminology obviously existed prior to this. Same as you, I could not find any Codex definition although it’s probably there somewhere. oPRP is new with ISO22k I suppose so maybe you can make yr own definition link?

Some definitions I found -

(1) A "Control Point" (CP) is defined as any step in a process whereby biological, chemical, or physical factors may be controlled.
(2) Control Point (CP) – A step (in a process) at which a control can be applied to prevent, eliminate, or reduce a risk factor to an acceptable level. (added – looks more like CCP?)
(3) Control Point A Control Point (CP) is a stage in the preparation of food on which the safety of the final product is not entirely dependent, but together with other preparation stages is essential to maintain food safety.
(4) Control point (CP) — Any step in the flow of food at which a physical, chemical or biological hazard can be controlled. SOPs provide many of these controls (similar to 1)
(5) Many points in the flow diagram not identified as CCPs may be considered control points. These may address control of quality factors such as color or flavor or non-HACCP regulatory requirements such as standards of fill.
(6) Control Point:Any step at which biological, chemical, or physical factors can be controlled (similar to 1)
(7) Control Point – Any point in a specific food system where loss of control does not lead to an unacceptable health risk
(8) This text (“HACCP – Principles and Applications, ed Pierson MD and Corlett DAJr [1992]) is based on No.7 but with a probability aspect added -
CCP – any point in a specific food system where loss of control may result in a high probability of a health risk. On the other hand, if control is lost but the risk is low that a health risk will occur, then the concern should be classified as a control point. A CP definition would then be – Any point in a specific food system where loss of control may result in an economic or quality defect, or the low probability of a health risk occurring. (at that time a HACCP plan frequently considered additional types of defects, not only safety).
The more positive type format came in with No6 however the risk statement in No.8 still seems meaningful in operational terms.

1 - http://seafood.nmfs....gov/manual.html

2 - http://www.nzfsa.gov...e-assurance.htm

3 - http://www.rushmoor....lContents_1.pdf.

4 - http://www.dese.mo.g..._newsletter.pdf

5.HACCP blue book (UC Davis)(available on-line)

6 - http://www.cfsan.fda...mm/nacmcfp.html (NACMCF 1992)

7 NACMCF 1989

I hope this is helpful more than confusing.

Rgds / Charles.C
1 Like3 Thanks
Wow! Thank you Charles. That is a lot of definitions.

Saludos.

Wow! Thank you Charles. That is a lot of definitions.

Saludos.

Which do you prefer Erasmo?

Regards,
Simon

Which do you prefer Erasmo?

Regards,
Simon

Well, when we have a lot of definitions, we could have a lot of confusion. And I really think that a good and standardized terminology is the key for understand the requirements of HACCP. To me, it is ok to have only 2 different control measures – CCP and OpPPR.

Saludos.
Dear All

i'm vietnamese, i'm glad to join this forum. Thanks to the definition of “Control Point” topic. because, i has experience how identify "Control Point" (CP) to apply iso 22k my company.

Thanks and Best Regards
Hung Dang Viet
Dear Charles,

Thank you for the various definitions for CP; I think No. 8 is a very good one and well defined.

Congrats for completing 1000 posts !

Best Regards

Jean
Dear Jean,

Thanks your kind words.

In fact I subsequently saw this quote (Surak article) which related to the thread's original question -

An operational PRP is similar to a control point or CP.

This statement now seems IMO rather "loose" in respect to the variety of possible defs of CP above plus the detailed requirements for oprp specified in ISO 22000 .(Although the exact borderlines for determining an oprp seem to be conveniently vague as usual, so perhaps "similar" can be defended )

Rgds / Charles.C
Dear All:

I am new in This Forum...thanks to all senior here!
1. is it OPRP neccesary include in ISO22000?
2. what is the contrast difference between PRP and OPRP?
3. If I make a OPRP as PRP,is it a problem?

Thanks!!
have a great day!!

stephie
Dear Tanwoaping,

Thks yr question and welcome to the forum

I presume you hv copies of ISO22000 and ISO22004.

I am currently not a user but my interpretation of the standards is that –

1. The conceptual answer is no, in comparison to PRP which is yes.. The practical answer will depend on yr process and it’s risk evaluation as per the i22k standard.

2. The official answer is, I suppose - as defined by the i22k standard. The practical answer has created considerable discussion. There are several threads already here on this question which I suggest you hv a look and then come back if hv more queries., eg, recently - http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=8483

3. The answer will depend on the process/specific activity, again as interpreted within the standard.

Suggest you give more process details if hv specific question.

Any users out there with processes having zero Oprps ??

Rgds / Charles.C
DEar Charles:

Thanks a lot!!Let me view the detials first.
LOts of answer i can found here,is a very good forum!!

Thanks n hv a nice day!

stephie
My second very imprtant question related to CP is, Do we need to continiously monitor and document CP like what we do for CCP?

My second very imprtant question related to CP is, Do we need to continiously monitor and document CP like what we do for CCP?

Was wondering the same but imo, CP does not necessarily need continuous monitoring and documentation like CCP as I understood that lost of control at CP does not pose as much of a high health risk (e.g death, food poisoning) as compared to lost of control at CCP. It would, at worst, just result in a food quality issue rather than a food safety issue. 

Hi clover,

Good of you to satisfy Dave's 6-years of waiting. :thumbup:

Dear Dave,

CB would always looking for the records. "If did not write it, you did not do it".

regards,

redfox

Dear Dave,

CB would always looking for the records. "If did not write it, you did not do it".

regards,

redfox

Or it could be that - even if you write it , you may not necessarily have done it. 

Hi clover,

Good of you to satisfy Dave's 6-years of waiting. :thumbup:

Haha, I didn't realized until you pointed out. Woopsies...

Similar Discussion Topics
When is CAPA required and what is definition of a correction under SQF? Is anyone aware of a legal or regulatory definition of the food claim term 'simple'? What is the definition of food grade in relation to degreasers? Does anyone have a definition for product rework according to USDA guidelines? Clarification on ISO definition: Product Contact Definition of Hazardous Chemicals - what chemicals and substances fall under 11.6.4 SOP Definition guide or reference BRC 4.9.2.3 - Definition of snap-off blade knives Proper definition of the general public in the HACCP plan Corrective Action Definition