• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anyone have a definition for product rework according to USDA guidelines?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Gabrielita223

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:21 PM

Does anyone have a definition for product rework  according to USDA guidelines? I can't find. I asked the inspector but he didn't give me any information either but already gave me a NR. We have a reprocessing of the filling, that is, the workers who do manual work do not manage to grab this filling, which they put back into the cone(hoper) of the same material. My conflict is knowing if this is considered rework or reprocessing.

Thanks,

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:05 PM

The NR should provide the what element (in the CFR or FSIS) the inspector feels you are not following and they should ask if you understand and if not they should give you an explanation.  For my experience, many years ago, rework is product that is partially or fully processed, rerouted for reasons other than unwholesomeness or adulteration. Also, if I remember right you can ask questions on the USDA website and they are pretty quick about answering in a timely manner.

Gabrielita223

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:39 PM

The NR should provide the what element (in the CFR or FSIS) the inspector feels you are not following and they should ask if you understand and if not they should give you an explanation.  For my experience, many years ago, rework is product that is partially or fully processed, rerouted for reasons other than unwholesomeness or adulteration. Also, if I remember right you can ask questions on the USDA website and they are pretty quick about answering in a timely manner.

Rework: Rework is the process of recooking, reprocessing, or repackaging the product. This could also include temporary packaging of the product. FSIS considers any process that removes the product from the package and exposes it to the environment as rework.

That was USDA response, I read all but is taking about only packing products. FSIS Listeria Guideline,  I don't think is same for raw material.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users