Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:58 PM

How do you define Corrective Action? I define Corrective Action as  action taken against chronic non conformances and defects that totally eliminates the root cause of the issue. I have a lower level category that I call a Correction.  I define a Correction as  quick fix to a non conformance or defect. These are definitions that I away from a former employer.

I have been trying to carry over this definition at other companies but to no avail. Many companies use the term corrective action very loosely. How do you define corrective action?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

Official term is a Corrective Action - either it's a short-term correction or long term.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:07 AM

How do you define Corrective Action? I define Corrective Action as  action taken against chronic non conformances and defects that totally eliminates the root cause of the issue. I have a lower level category that I call a Correction.  I define a Correction as  quick fix to a non conformance or defect. These are definitions that I away from a former employer.

I have been trying to carry over this definition at other companies but to no avail. Many companies use the term corrective action very loosely. How do you define corrective action?

FWIW, BRC specifically defines Correction as: Action taken to eliminate the cause of a detected non-conformity.

Whereas Preventive Action is defined as: Action to eliminate the fundamental, underlying cause (root cause) of a detected non-conformity and prevent recurrence.

The latter sounds more akin to your meaning of "corrective action".

Interpretation is therefore perhaps a matter of experience, and that's before getting bogged down in the joys of semantics ;)

Perhaps it doesn't matter too much, as long as everyone understands what they actually have to do (i.e. are trained against the relevant procedures), and the chosen nomenclature doesn't cause any issues with respect to definitions in the certification/regulatory standards used?

Strangely I'm reminded of Jean-Paul Sartre: "I confused things with their names: that is belief"

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

And next we have Deviation.

Followed by Preventative.

Ending with NUOCA ? (Blast from the Past). :smile:

Acros Rule ! :thumbdown:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

connieb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:57 PM

FWIW, BRC specifically defines Correction as: Action taken to eliminate the cause of a detected non-conformity.

Whereas Preventive Action is defined as: Action to eliminate the fundamental, underlying cause (root cause) of a detected non-conformity and prevent recurrence.

The latter sounds more akin to your meaning of "corrective action".

Interpretation is therefore perhaps a matter of experience, and that's before getting bogged down in the joys of semantics ;)

Perhaps it doesn't matter too much, as long as everyone understands what they actually have to do (i.e. are trained against the relevant procedures), and the chosen nomenclature doesn't cause any issues with respect to definitions in the certification/regulatory standards used?

Strangely I'm reminded of Jean-Paul Sartre: "I confused things with their names: that is belief"

Yes, this is similar to my experience. However, you have more clearly defined corrective action as correcting a nonconformity versus preventative action which addresses the underlying root cause of the nonconformity. Thanks for the clear and concise feedback. I am going to try to implement these definitions in my QMS. Thanks!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Corrective Action, Define Corrective Action, Corrective Action vs Correcti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users