What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Metal Detector A Must?

Started by , Apr 21 2008 03:19 AM
5 Replies
Jus wish to ask, is metal detector a must in food and beverage industry? or is it a must if we applying ISO 22000?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
False Positive Metal Detection Reject Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces
[Ad]
Hi

Do you apply the hazard analysis?
The presence of metallic foreign mater is a real hazard?
If it is, then how you control them?

I think you have to reconsider these questions, and find yourselves the answer of you question.
I don't think you should just think of the standard you're applying; you should also think about likely outcomes of a metal find in your product (if it's possible) in terms of legal action and customer response. (Remember as well, metal could be from a supplier and not from your plant but it would still be your responsibility to ensure the food was safe to eat.)

In the UK, if metal was found in a foodstuff, if it was taken to an EHO (government representative), they would sue you if it had been from your ingredients or your plant because metal detectors are relatively cheap and effective so they would expect you to have them, even if the metal risk was small, therefore a conviction in the UK is very likely. You need to consider if it's likely in Malaysia as well and whether from an ethical point of view you should have them. If you supply UK, EU or US markets, they will be expected as standard.
Dear all,

It might also be added that IMEX, auditors love them ! No metal detectors will inevitably require substantial explanations for many / most systems.

Rgds / Charles.C
Thx for the reply. Think I shall bring in the discussion in my next meeting
Hi

Metal detector will help to reduce the complaint at your end if used properly.
Companies having metal detector in place are still having complaint of metal in finished product.
It gives our customer confidence that our product is not having metal.

Jus wish to ask, is metal detector a must in food and beverage industry? or is it a must if we applying ISO 22000?

Similar Discussion Topics
False Positive Metal Detection Reject Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal detector rejects Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Metal Detector Validation Can you get SQF Certification without a Metal Detector?