• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can you get SQF Certification without a Metal Detector?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

PPPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2024 - 12:50 AM

Our small dumpling manufacturing company is not equipped with a metal detector. Is it necessary to have a metal detector? If we do not have a metal detector, would it hinder us from getting SQF certified?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:22 AM

First, it is not required - however some customers may demand it or an X-ray.

Question is what are you currently doing to prevent foreign material from getting into your product?

I'd be looking at customer complaints to see if there has been any issues with metal inclusion or any other type of inclusions and also reviewing by Risk Analysis if you should have a metal detector or not.

I will say that I've never been in dumpling nor egg roll/spring roll facility that did not have a metal detector, but there are of course many other ways to prevent inclusion - filters, visual, etc and your process may not be one that is prone to inclusion.

So, pretty much I'd be looking at the above, do a risk analysis and if there are any complaints on metal I'd run a finder (root cause) analysis and determine if you have a need or not.

During an SQF audit the Auditor will review your foreign material policy and procedures and will ask what you use to eliminate - most will ask about a metal detector or X-ray, however like I said it is not a requirement of SQF.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:38 AM

if you have the risk of metal, you need a way to reduce the risk to an acceptable level.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 01 February 2024 - 08:02 AM

In the absence of metal detectors, implement a comprehensive control plan for metal contaminants. This plan should include a detailed risk assessment of your production processes, the establishment of regular inspection procedures, and the provision of appropriate training to employees to ensure their seamless integration into your operations.

nmcclain2

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2024 - 02:15 PM

It depends on your product and processes... in coffee, we have rare earth magnets in the bottom of each dumping pit, in the greens cleaners, above bins so product going in is filtered, above each grinder and packaging machine. Only after our grinder is the metal detector to detect and reject any bits of metal that have made it through the grinding process and has the potential to enter the finished product.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2024 - 05:36 PM

Chiming in to echo the above.  I've worked in SQF certified plants with no CCP's at all, even for MD, so it is 100% possible to do.  But your HACCP risk analysis needs to fully resolve all of the potential risks of contamination and justify the lack of a CCP for any FM potential.  You can expect it to be scrutinized step-by-step, but as long as you can prove any metal FM is not reasonably likely to occur, you can defend the decision to your auditor.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users