What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF Practitioner on Organizational Chart

Started by , Jan 28 2015 08:32 PM
9 Replies

Where should the SQF Practitioner be located on the organizational chart?  My vote is for under the President.  Our President wants to list the QA Department (SQF Practitioners) under Plant Management. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Ideal Organizational Chart for a food manufacturing company? New Quality and Food Safety Manager-SQF Practitioner SQF Practitioner Question
[Ad]

As I see it, we are not on the same organizational level with finance, sales, distribution. We perhaps head, but certainly we are a part of the QA department.

1 Thank

I think sticking out of the side of the president, so not a line of authority over everyone else, but has the ear and is the right hand of the president.

1 Thank

I report directly to the plant manager, so that's how it is on my org chart

1 Thank

Kwenzel first it's important to write out the org chart the way it really is. Whoever you report to is who you would place yourself under. However, what the auditor is trying to look for is to see if there is any conflict of interest. It wouldn't make sense to be under sales because it would suggest you're pushing out products to make the sale etc. etc. It wouldn't make sense to be under the production manager because it would suggest you're pushing out products to make the numbers etc. etc.   

1 Like

However, what the auditor is trying to look for is to see if there is any conflict of interest. It wouldn't make sense to be under sales because it would suggest you're pushing out products to make the sale etc. etc. It wouldn't make sense to be under the production manager because it would suggest you're pushing out products to make the numbers etc. etc.   

Totally agree with this.  Some standards like pharma say that the "quality unit" and responsibility for it must be independent from production...so that they can make unbiased judgement about product quality without the thought of customer deadlines, capacities, cost etc.  In most businesses it is not practical and the quality manager would report to someone like the most senior plant manager or operations manager...but a dotted line direct to the big boss is useful.  Structure, roles, responsibilities and lines of communication (for quality/food safety) should be explained in further detail in the quality manual.

1 Thank

Oh yeah, the dotted line!  The dotted line to CEO/President/Owner is important.  You should have one in real life too :)

It's probably meaningless isn't it magenta. Sort of means my doors always open...

Hi Kwenzel.. I think your instincts are correct. It would look better to an auditor if QA were a direct report to the President or at least on the same level of the organizational chart as the Plant Manager. 

I have always placed it to my direct report or ownership if there is a conflict.
Being senior management is "supporting" the SQF program there should be no issue if you are reporting to a director of operations or ownership, but never to production management.

Similar Discussion Topics
Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Ideal Organizational Chart for a food manufacturing company? New Quality and Food Safety Manager-SQF Practitioner SQF Practitioner Question SQF Practitioner Course What happens if a company does not have a backup practitioner? Is it mandatory to put personal names in the organization chart? Looking for bun glazing process steps and flow chart and ingredients source SQF Advanced Practitioner Test Help