• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 February 2024 - 03:37 AM

Hello IFSQN,

After lurking for quite a while, I've finally decided to create an account! I'm about to start my job as a QFS Manager at a very small company (14 total employees) and would appreciate some advice on where to begin. They recently had their SQF Audit and scored a 96. One concern I have is regarding IAs; while it's said you shouldn't conduct IAs on things you own, the criteria mention 'where practical.' Could I argue that it's not practical for the CEO to do IAs, and it makes more sense for me to handle IAs on the entire system? Additionally, I hold an IA certification and want to ensure the CEO and Plant Manager are well-trained. Any pointers on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:14 AM

Hi Mistborn42,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums

I would be getting someone else trained up to do your internal audits, that way there can be someone to audit your areas.

The site needs to have a substitute SQF practitioner* anyway so maybe that person couple be the alternative IA?

*SQF Food Safety Code Clause 2.1.1.4:

Senior site management shall designate a primary and substitute SQF practitioner for each site with responsibility and authority to: etc……

Kind regards,

Tony

Mistborn42

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:46 AM

That's true Tony, should I just put them through the ZosiLearning.com SQF Practitioner exam (they currently have a HACCP certification, so I'm unsure if that's enough according to the new requirements).

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 February 2024 - 01:17 PM

SQF manual says:

2.1 Training (optional)
An “Implementing SQF Systems” training course is available online and through the SQFI
network of licensed training centers. SQF practitioners, who are responsible for designing,
implementing, and maintaining the requirements of the SQF Food Safety Code: Food
Manufacturing, are encouraged to participate in a training course. The “Implementing
SQF Systems” training course is not mandatory for SQF practitioners but is strongly
recommended.
Details of the training courses are available at sqfi.com.
SQF practitioners are required to successfully complete HACCP training that is a minimum
two-day duration and assessed.
Training in other food industry disciplines, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), and Internal
Auditing may also be beneficial, and licensed SQF training centers can provide details about
the other training courses they provide.

AND

2.5.4.2 Staff conducting internal audits shall be trained and competent in internal audit
procedures. Where practical, staff conducting internal audits shall be independent of
the function being audited.
You can train other IA---they do NOT have to take an external course

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2024 - 08:35 PM

I started in a small family run milling business, and I was the first ever QA employee they'd put on staff as they prepared for their first SQF audit.  In years prior, they took the line of "we're all responsible for quality" and customers bought it.  I ended up doing all of the internal audits as a Quality Supervisor/backup practitioner, and my findings were reported and reviewed by the Plant Manager who was also the primary SQF Practitioner.  We sometimes dealt with pushback over the next three years of SQF and customer audits, but realistically the system worked and was a practical as we could make it between the two of us running that operation.  The biggest thing was to ensure someone else reviewed the first person's primary work, and that appeased auditors given what our situation was.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users