What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Vendor Approval and Monitoring

Started by , Feb 05 2015 08:56 PM
4 Replies

So we're having a hell of a time getting prospective and grandfathered in vendors to sign our Vendor Control Policy as part of our vendor approval process.

Is there something wrong with this approach? Our policy is about 6 pages long, and the most important parts of the policy that vendors absolutely have to read are earmarked. Do any of you do anything similar? My boss and I have gotten some push back internally that our approach is too complicated. But, we think it's well within reasonable limits for due diligence.

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What to consider when adding a new uniform vendor? Do I need to calibrate a metal detector if the vendor professional validated it? COCs as they Partain to Approved Vendor Supplier Documentation Foreign Material from Sugar Vendor Vendor approval for plastic bottle producers
[Ad]

Hi,

This is a very common problem. Its my past experience that vendors resist being in control especially where the terms are written on a piece of paper and binding to them.

It so very natural. However, I don't think that your approach is wrong anywhere. It is important to set up some guidelines for your vendors so that it reduces the number of issues regarding food safety, recall, product hold, rejections etc. Accountability is required.

However, it is also important to see how tactfully you can manage this.

You may revise  your document such that it gradually increases the responsibility towards vendors. Like the first document can be simple. Next year you can revise it but putting few clauses which are based on the issues that you face with the suppliers in passed year. It will be legitimate and easy understood by your vendor too as you can present a case to them.

Likewise your agreement can go stricter with time. You and your vendor will both have time to cope it up with.

Manju

Delhi, India

Ah, purchasing always hates when this change happens.

Make it really easy and uncomplicated for them - they only buy from someone is on the approved vendor  list.  Only.  

That's the easiest way to pick out a vendor there is!

If your program works for you, and you can manage and handle it, it's not too complicated.  You're smart.  You can do this.

Another option would be to reference the standard you are getting key points from. It may seem less complicated / cumbersome if they understand why it is lengthy

Yes, the procedure needs to be simple and easily understandble by the vendors.

Call a meeting with your vendors, address their concerns on why and how to meet the requirements as listed in your document AND THAT- the approved vendors will remain in the business only !

Regards,

Me

Similar Discussion Topics
What to consider when adding a new uniform vendor? Do I need to calibrate a metal detector if the vendor professional validated it? COCs as they Partain to Approved Vendor Supplier Documentation Foreign Material from Sugar Vendor Vendor approval for plastic bottle producers Vendor Path Testing of incoming raw ingredients? Vendor Approval with Risk assessment template Restaurant Brands International Vendor Audit Template for vendor specifications How to reject a vendor