What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Verifying the accuracy of an infrared thermometer

Started by , May 02 2013 10:23 PM
4 Replies
Hello All,
Users of infrared (IR) thermometers, how do you verify accuracy?

For our current procedure, we use an NIST certified standard thermometer, beaker, and cold/hot water. Just wondering if anyone else does it differently.

Regards,
Bill
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Labeling software for checking and verifying labels Procedure for Verifying and Validating a Data Logger Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Verifying Chemical Concentrations System for verifying the effectiveness of the communication plan
[Ad]

Hello All,
Users of infrared (IR) thermometers, how do you verify accuracy?

For our current procedure, we use an NIST certified standard thermometer, beaker, and cold/hot water. Just wondering if anyone else does it differently.

Regards,
Bill

Dear sci,

I assume "verify" equiv. to 'calibrate".

Not a user but if yr query includes the professionals, I think you will immediately get involved in some high-tech gear and maybe a little advanced Physics. Just try googling "calibration infra-red thermometers" to see what i mean. I have attached the Fluke procedure as an example which you probably know already .

Fluke Infra-red calibration guide.pdf   2.04MB   220 downloads

If you mean the "average" user, there is another nice thread here somewhere which has a quite lengthy input from a seeming merchandiser of such instruments and, from memory, which discusses calibration also. Will link thread later if can search it out.

Rgds / Charles.C
2 Thanks

Dear sci,

I assume "verify" equiv. to 'calibrate".

Not a user but if yr query includes the professionals, I think you will immediately get involved in some high-tech gear and maybe a little advanced Physics. Just try googling "calibration infra-red thermometers" to see what i mean. I have attached the Fluke procedure as an example which you probably know already .

Fluke Infra-red calibration guide.pdf   2.04MB   220 downloads

If you mean the "average" user, there is another nice thread here somewhere which has a quite lengthy input from a seeming merchandiser of such instruments and, from memory, which discusses calibration also. Will link thread later if can search it out.

Rgds / Charles.C

Hey Charles.C,
Thank you for your response and informative guide on calibration.

But what I was looking for was "Field Verification of Accuracy." The link contains the procedure to do so:

http://www.instrumar...o_umeng0100.pdf

Page 10.

Regards,
Bill

Hey Charles.C,
Thank you for your response and informative guide on calibration.

But what I was looking for was "Field Verification of Accuracy." The link contains the procedure to do so:

http://www.instrumar...o_umeng0100.pdf

Page 10.

Regards,
Bill

Dear sci,

Ok, thks.

Frankly, this basically looks like a “field” calibration to me . Conceptually similar to comparing a conventional probe with a conventional ref. unit.

Practical differences look especially related to radiation basis of IR / provision of suitable defined temperature source-target. The method described in yr attachment seems a bit more “empirical” as compared to typical procedures for conventional probes.

Quick googling showed alternative field methods of similar basis but intended to improve the source / measuring procedure. One link discussed caveats / criticisms relating to potential errors of usual calibration methods (probably field / non-field). Some of these errors are only too familiar when working with conventional probes.

Examples –

http://www.thermowor...ed-thermometry/
gf1 - IR field calibration units - R_02093.pdf   97.49KB   162 downloads
gf2 - IR field verification - ITUserGuide.pdf   20.67KB   138 downloads

Sorry if you knew all the above already . Hopefully some actual users will comment further.

Rgds / Charles.C
3 Thanks

Dear sci,

Ok, thks.

Frankly, this basically looks like a “field” calibration to me . Conceptually similar to comparing a conventional probe with a conventional ref. unit.

Practical differences look especially related to radiation basis of IR / provision of suitable defined temperature source-target. The method described in yr attachment seems a bit more “empirical” as compared to typical procedures for conventional probes.

Quick googling showed alternative field methods of similar basis but intended to improve the source / measuring procedure. One link discussed caveats / criticisms relating to potential errors of usual calibration methods (probably field / non-field). Some of these errors are only too familiar when working with conventional probes.

Examples –

http://www.thermowor...ed-thermometry/
gf1 - IR field calibration units - R_02093.pdf   97.49KB   162 downloads
gf2 - IR field verification - ITUserGuide.pdf   20.67KB   138 downloads

Sorry if you knew all the above already . Hopefully some actual users will comment further.

Rgds / Charles.C

Hey Charles.C,
Thank you for researching into this matter. The first PDF is a really good guide since it is made from UL. Looks like we will use this method for verifying. Have a great day.

Much Appreciated,
Bill

Similar Discussion Topics
Labeling software for checking and verifying labels Procedure for Verifying and Validating a Data Logger Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Verifying Chemical Concentrations System for verifying the effectiveness of the communication plan SQF 2.4.4.2 Verifying Supplier compliance with 2.4.4.2 Edition 9.0 What method are you using for verifying online or virtual training sessions? BRC 5.4.4 - verifying non-GMO ingredients which are inherently non-GMO Validating and verifying documents in a digital format Verifying Product Internal Temperature