• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:24 AM

Good morning,

I am working on our Sanitation and Cleaning program. I was looking at the requirement for verifying chemical concentration. We are following the manufacturer's recommendations and i am looking to getting test strips for our sanitizers. We do you a foaming degreaser, but test strips do not test foams. Does anyone know of a test or verification we can use to test the concentration.

Thank you

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 381 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Do you mix cleaning chemicals or have a dispenser that mixes cleaning chemicals for you?  If you do, you need to verify those concentrations as well.  That is what I have been asked for throughout my years in audits.  You can have the contracting company come out and do it, or if they give you what the mix concentrations are, you can perform the verification yourself.

alexAy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:00 PM

We have a dispenser, and they have metering tips that can be adjusted to proper concentration. I guess i want to verify the chemicals when they come out. I know sanitizer has test strips but I'm not sure if the degreaser can be tested with the same strips. 

Sam D

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:12 PM

I had the same issue where the chemical supplier installed the metering tip at dispenser but could not provide me exact concentrations. I did a lot of back and forth with my chemical supplier and eventually ended up buying caustic testing kit from Amazon.

FurryCrow

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:52 PM

Check with your chemical supplier, they usually offer Test Kits for cleaning chemicals they supply.

alexAy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:02 PM

Thank you all. I checked with our supplier yesterday but weren't helpful. It looks like I will need 2 separate test one for our sanitizer and degreaser

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:09 PM

Why are you verifying the chemical concentration?

Is it to ensure the concentration is SAFE or to confirm it is the one prescribed?

If you also have a cleaning verification plan that confirms that your cleaning was effective, I would expect confirmation they're safe to be sufficient (but I'm not sure how the auditor would take it).

wbourg

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:21 PM

Your sanitation company should provide titration kits for these. Mine does at least. We get something  like this:

https://chemstationp...&pr_seq=uniform

Edited by wbourg, 16 March 2023 - 02:23 PM.

alexAy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:34 PM

We are trying to meet the SQF criteria for methods used to confirm the correct concentrations of detergents and sanitizers. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,079 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:41 PM

Thank you all. I checked with our supplier yesterday but weren't helpful. It looks like I will need 2 separate test one for our sanitizer and degreaser

You'll need to get the two separate test kits.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 863 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:51 PM

how can you ever test for the "degreaser" concentration without help from chemical MFG?

They are the only ones that know the chemistry and thus how whatever test you do would correspond to the correct OZs per gallon mixed.   Do you have the exact chemical make up of the "degreaser"?   (not ranges)

I cant think of any circumstances where you could ever use the same test for a sanitizer as a cleaner / degreaser.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:40 PM

Having been in the cleaning chemical industry you will find that the most important test/check you can so is what is known as a "metering tip".

The tip regulates the amount of flow of chemicals to the amount of water being mixed in order to create the foam - the tips need to be checked to ensure they match specs.

These tips are critical to be in good condition and be the right one for the specs.

As long as the tip is correct and in good shape it will always dispense the correct amount and ensure that when you test strip the foam that it comes in the way it should.

Shoot some foam into a container and allow it to stand for just a little while and then test the breakdown liquid.

By the way we always check to make sure the tips are the correct color because a corrupt chem rep can switch out the tips to increase chemical usage very easily.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:36 PM

I think you need to be performing titration tests at minimum weekly to verify concentrations

The metering tip will only work IF that is where the chemical meets the water, in lots of cases there is a mixing step prior to the hose, the the nozzle simply determines weather it's a spray or a foam

I wouldn't personally suggest using amazon to order titration kits (the chemicals are just more likely to have expired---use fisher scientific or similar IMHO)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users