What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 11.2.13.9 - Verifying diluted detergents

Started by , May 01 2020 08:31 PM
5 Replies

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so bare with me here.  We're trying to prepare for SQF and I need some help clarifying one of the requirements.  

11.2.13.9 Detergents and sanitizers that have been mixed for use shall be correctly mixed according to manufacturers’ instructions, stored in containers that are suitable for use, and clearly identified. Mix concentrations shall be verified and records maintained.

The problem I'm having with this is that the instructions on our detergents have "suggestions" and not "requirements".  The label actually states:

"The following dilution ratios are intended to provide guidance to the user and are not requirements for use.  Appropriate dilution will vary depending upon a facility's specific parameters."

So I guess the question is do I just put down whatever our representative say to put down as our dilution ratio?  Do I need to even bother with a parameter at this point?  Anyways, I would like to thank you all in advance for any input you have on this.

Mitch

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Labeling software for checking and verifying labels Procedure for Verifying and Validating a Data Logger Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Verifying Chemical Concentrations System for verifying the effectiveness of the communication plan
[Ad]
Hi Mitch - first, welcome!

Next...

I worked in the past with a detergent/sanitizer company and we had labeling for broad applications like this.

I suspect that your rep has a chart somewhere that shows the specific or recommended dilution ratio's based on what the application is... we had those.

You should ask your rep for the chart or request it the information in writing so you have that if ever requested.
1 Like1 Thank

Operating within their suggested range should meet the requirement.

Regardless, if you validate a specific concentration-cleaning method-exposure conditions then you can use whatever you want. Just prove it works. Sanitizers are the more specific ones, detergent really comes down to whatever is sufficient to remove the soils you need to remove.

1 Thank

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm going to contact my supplier for some paperwork.

Side note: Our Director of food safety quit and I have to fill the role until we hire a new Director....  He left in October.

Hi Mitche,

IMO suggestions and requirements are as equivalent as you choose to make them.

IMEX (not SQF) auditors are primarily interested in 2 things -

(1) A piece of Logo-ed paper stating (a) the principal components of detergent, (b)  guideline application usage, © product is "Food-safe",

(2) Verification via micro/ATP on food-contact surfaces.

BRC inevitably expect risk assessments. SQF expect SDSs ?

IMEX facilities typically experiment to determine the minimum percentage of  detergent necessary "based on manufacturer's guidelines ". :smile:

I agree that the company you are using should have some more specific PPM's that are shown to be effective in the cleaning process.  Then you could ask your representative to order you kits so that you can test your sanitation chemicals in-house to help prove you are meeting the recommendations.  If you do not want to test the PPM's of the chemicals then you would need to record how much of each ingredient you are mixing to prove the dilutions.  We have found it is much simpler to just test the PPM's. It is very important to have this documentation for the sanitizers that are used, especially food contact.  Also, our representative will test our chemicals periodically for us as a verification.  Auditors seem to really like.

Similar Discussion Topics
Labeling software for checking and verifying labels Procedure for Verifying and Validating a Data Logger Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food Verifying Chemical Concentrations System for verifying the effectiveness of the communication plan SQF 2.4.4.2 Verifying Supplier compliance with 2.4.4.2 Edition 9.0 What method are you using for verifying online or virtual training sessions? BRC 5.4.4 - verifying non-GMO ingredients which are inherently non-GMO Validating and verifying documents in a digital format Verifying Product Internal Temperature