What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Difference between performance objectives and food Safety objectives

Started by , Feb 10 2010 10:31 AM
13 Replies
Can someone explain to me as what is the difference between Performance objective and Food safety objective.?

Thank you
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? Difference between correction, corrective action and preventive action? Difference between Food safety plan and HACCP Difference between incidence reporting and emergency preparedness SQF Level 2 and 3 difference
[Ad]
IMO food safety objectives are performance objectives regarding food safety.
1 Thank
Dear Madam A. D-tor,

Thank you for your reply. So FSO=PO.
Dear Jean,

IMO:

Performance objectives focus on performance of person, system or process. Performance may be food safety, product quality, business processes performance, employee performance, supplier performance or machine performance.

Food safety objectives focus only on food safety
, i.e., to plan such a realistic, time-bound and resource-bound activity that would improve safety-standard or safety-status of food.

In other words

performance objective = food safety objective where
performance = safety-standard or safety-status of food.

Regards:
Zeeshan.
Dear Jean,

Unfortunately this topic is a maze of terminologies which kept changing up to around 2004. As far as I can see, situation fairly stable after that.

For nice historical summary, explicit definitions, and some application info, see -

IFT_micro_managing_food_safety_use_of_performance_objectives___managing_food_safety.pdf   205.62KB   479 downloads

These are more directly on FSO, PO and probably well explain the relationship -

Simplified_FSO_performance_objective_9nov05.pdf   85.53KB   490 downloads
FSO_performance_objective___013_020_Cole.pdf   246.55KB   402 downloads
fso_performance_objective___021_027_Gorris.pdf   213.15KB   369 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

[added later - I should hv mentioned that my above attachments all assumed the original question referred to a microbiological interpretation. I'm sure a psychologist would be fascinated to see the variety of responses. Thanks for the question Jean ]
3 Thanks
Perfectly said by everyone but i want to add extra in food safety objectives:
  • Food safety incidences
  • Reducing the customer complaints
  • Non-conformance in final product
  • Increasing annual sales turnover

Continues...

Perfectly said by everyone but i want to add extra in food safety objectives:

• Food safety incidences
  • Reducing the customer complaints
  • Non-conformance in final product
  • Increasing annual sales turnover

Dear Abdul Qudoos,

I do not agree with you that increasing sales turnover is a food safety objective. It is a performence objective but has nothing to do with food safety.
performance objective = food safety objective:

1. Reduce reject product caused by food safety problems.
2. GMP Audit score min. is 90 %
3. No major finding during Audit external for FSMS.

Performance objective :
1. Increase OEE value up to 95%
2. Reduce Cost of RM
3. etc

Dear Abdul Qudoos, I do not agree with you that increasing sales turnover is a food safety objective. It is a performence objective but has nothing to do with food safety.

Business objectives support food safety objectives and without a viable business concern, there will be no need for FSO as the organization would cease or have difficulty to exist. I think it is okay to drive improved sales using FSO as part of marketing strategy towards PO and thats basically what the entire commercial world is hoping to achieve otherwise whats the point of investing huge amount of money into a FSMS without bottom line returns unless of course, we are referring to non-profitable organizations.

Cheers
Charles Chew
What does it say in the various FSMS standards about objectives?
This:

Food Safety Objective (FSO):
“The maximum frequency and/or concentration of a hazard in a food at the time of consumption that provides or contributes to the appropriate level of protection (ALOP)”

Performance Objective (PO):
“The maximum frequency and/or concentration of a hazard in a food at a specified step in the food chain before the time of consumption that provides or contributes to an FSO or ALOP, as applicable“

Is taken from this:
gfsi2010buchanan.pdf   4.62MB   632 downloads

Which was one of the presentations at this:
GFSI Conference

Regards,
Simon
2 Thanks
Can I take it from the silence that everyone is looking at my previous post and saying "yes just as I thought" or are you totally confused?
1 Like
Dear All,

Thank you all for your feedback and and references provided. I will revert if I am confused .

Business objectives support food safety objectives and without a viable business concern, there will be no need for FSO as the organization would cease or have difficulty to exist. I think it is okay to drive improved sales using FSO as part of marketing strategy towards PO and thats basically what the entire commercial world is hoping to achieve otherwise whats the point of investing huge amount of money into a FSMS without bottom line returns unless of course, we are referring to non-profitable organizations.

Cheers
Charles Chew

Many thanks Charles, Madam & AS NUR,

This is just an evaluation- monitoring FSMS objective annually.

If someone wants to include in food safety objectives there is no harm, we can measure and compare food safety incidences, reducing customer complaints and non conformance in final product with increasing annual sales turnover, that gives the clear picture of company performance.

Similar Discussion Topics
Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? Difference between correction, corrective action and preventive action? Difference between Food safety plan and HACCP Difference between incidence reporting and emergency preparedness SQF Level 2 and 3 difference Difference between Extract VS Flavour? What difference between CP and OPRP in ISO 22000 What is the difference between Whitebait and Blanchbait? Difference between clauses 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 BRC Issue 8 Difference in microbiological count in same process (EMP)