• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud?

Share this

Best Answer , 22 February 2024 - 09:46 PM

Organic certifiers are now requiring the manufacturers address organic fraud specifically in their fraud prevention plans. Many offer tailor-made forms for you to fill out and create a plan, which makes things easy but does result in two plans being made. You're free to lump everything together in one plan, just make sure that you're addressing organic fraud specifically in your prevention plan.

Organic fraud differs from conventional fraud in that it's looking at the issue of a material's organic status being compromised. Of course, instances of conventional fraud like substituting a portion of organic flour with chalk powder would result in the organic status of your material being ruined. But there are other instances to consider that are more specific to organic integrity, such as cross-contact during transit or suppliers selling "organic" produce despite it not appearing on their list of registered products.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Sjoynesfoodsafety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:36 PM

Is there a difference between Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment and a Organic Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment Plan? Can we update our current food fraud to include the organic products and process? Or do we have to have a separate organic plan? 

Thank you a head of time! 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:56 PM

Is there a difference between Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment and a Organic Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment Plan? Can we update our current food fraud to include the organic products and process? Or do we have to have a separate organic plan? 

Thank you a head of time! 

The principles in adulteration, simulation or counterfeit will apply to any ingredient or finished good with specifications or label claims.  We haven't needed a separate organic specific fraud policy, but your certifying body or auditor could be more explicit (or picky) in what they require.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 February 2024 - 02:08 PM

Don't create more work for yourself

1 plan covering ALL avenues where fraud could be committed is sufficient

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:32 PM

We have 1 plan for organic.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Sjoynesfoodsafety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:28 PM

Thank you so much!

I am hoping our certifying body except 1 program. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:58 PM

I would leave it as one program, but you should identify organic fraud within that program.  Ultimately, I think the only verification you can perform is through your supplier controls, ensuring the supplier you choose is providing proof of their organic certification.  You could request period verification from your suppliers on specific lots they provide, asking for a trace of the input material to verify the raw input they recorded is organic as well.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:46 PM   Best Answer

Organic certifiers are now requiring the manufacturers address organic fraud specifically in their fraud prevention plans. Many offer tailor-made forms for you to fill out and create a plan, which makes things easy but does result in two plans being made. You're free to lump everything together in one plan, just make sure that you're addressing organic fraud specifically in your prevention plan.

Organic fraud differs from conventional fraud in that it's looking at the issue of a material's organic status being compromised. Of course, instances of conventional fraud like substituting a portion of organic flour with chalk powder would result in the organic status of your material being ruined. But there are other instances to consider that are more specific to organic integrity, such as cross-contact during transit or suppliers selling "organic" produce despite it not appearing on their list of registered products.

Karenconstable

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 38 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2024 - 01:40 AM

Organic fraud is one of the most common frauds, and is constantly underestimated by my customers.  

Businesses that make organic food products and buy organic ingredients are incredibly vulnerable to food fraud, and many have a little too much trust in their suppliers. 

I'm in agreeance with Brothbro regarding one or two programs.  Usually I would recommend to keep things simple and have just one food fraud program, making sure organic fraud is addressed.  But if a customer or certification body asks for an 'Organic Fraud' program it might be more convenient to have a separate one.... especially if your certifier has a template you can use. 

Regards,

Karen Constable

Food Fraud Prevention (VACCP) Programs | Food Fraud Training |

Consulting | Advisory | Compliance

The Rotten Apple Newsletter

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users