• Quick Navigation
Photo

High Care designation for cheese - Have BRC chickened out?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

I'm just looking at the BRC standard, after all of the high care / high risk rows on here, I'm taking it that BRC listened and included both terms. Interestingly though they don't think hard cheeses are high care. This goes against the view of Tesco who I believe are trying to introduce high care in all cheese packing sites. Although Listeria mono. in cheddar is rare, it's not completely unheard of.

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

I feel that cheeses whether soft or hard are all comprised of protiensand fats which are regarded as high risk foods so they should be classed as high care. However, it is true that the number of incidents of Listeria monocytogenes is a lot lower than say soft cheese, but nevertheless it can still harbour this nasty organism.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

I feel that cheeses whether soft or hard are all comprised of protiensand fats which are regarded as high risk foods so they should be classed as high care. However, it is true that the number of incidents of Listeria monocytogenes is a lot lower than say soft cheese, but nevertheless it can still harbour this nasty organism.

I completely agree. It goes through a heat process to be made, it needs to be stored chilled, I don't see the low risk element to it! I think it's a quirk of history in the food industry that because cheese factories have been around forever and there are plenty of old, poorly built plants, the manufacturers have put pressure on BRC to not make it high care! Tsk!

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I completely agree. It goes through a heat process to be made, it needs to be stored chilled, I don't see the low risk element to it! I think it's a quirk of history in the food industry that because cheese factories have been around forever and there are plenty of old, poorly built plants, the manufacturers have put pressure on BRC to not make it high care! Tsk!

I forget how old the factories are in UK!! I was a resident in UK and was trained in UK and as have been living down under I only see new factories so one forgets!! However, BRC should not succumb to the needs to these manufacturers as they will only dilute the BRC standard!!

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users