Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi all, as stated in clause 5.1.4, is there a "documented science-based justification for assigned shelf life"? If so, where can I read about it? We have set our frozen product's shelf life to 9 months before actually doing the shelf life testing, which were are only starting now.

Thanks much!

chickenplant

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

I used to use a hedonic scoring system (aka organoleptic testing) coupled with shelf life analysis in the meat industry, though it may vary depending on the risk of your product (I'm going to have a stab in the dark and guess you are in the chicken industry!). There is quite a good pdf available called "Shelf Life Testing: Procedures and Prediction Methods for Frozen Foods" by Bin Fu on the internet that gives fairly substantial scientific back-up if you want to go to town on this topic altogether, but as long as you/your quality team/customers are happy with the texture/flavour/appearance of the product after 9 months, you can prove you are controlling the freezing process and you can prove bacterial growth will not occur in the product, you should be fine.
One word of warning though, fully expect your production manager to repeatedly ask the freezer man to throw out your retained samples. This is most likely to be at the 8 month mark!

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users