Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hi all. The small farm I work for is trying to get GFSI certified, using the BRC scheme. I am totally overwhelmed at this process. Is there a step by step anywhere? I've been researching lots and trying to make notes. I ordered the standard and I think that should help when it comes in, right? Is there any specific training I will be required to take? Thanks

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi all. The small farm I work for is trying to get GFSI certified, using the BRC scheme. I am totally overwhelmed at this process. Is there a step by step anywhere? I've been researching lots and trying to make notes. I ordered the standard and I think that should help when it comes in, right? Is there any specific training I will be required to take? Thanks

Dear Melski,

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Indeed the process can appear rather overwhelming at first however the complexity may well depend on yr actual situation.

Probably helpful to repliers if you indicate what yr activity / process to be certified actually is.?
And some idea of the technical expertise available. :smile:

My first thought was to (rapidly :smile: ) find a consultant since the initial choice of standard may also depend on yr specific requirements.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

wret

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

I would also purchace the interpretation Guideline, which gives a lot more insight into meeting the the requirements of the standard. The digital versions are helpful as they make it easier to search for keywords such as "procedure" or "document". I took the "Understanding the Requirements" course which also helped a lot.

Thanked by 1 Member:

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Draw up a spreadsheet with all the clauses (you can't copy the text from the "pdf" they sell as it is locked into an awful Adobe program but there is a draft version out there somewhere that is almost the same - just correct by hand the bits they changed); alternatively just list all the clause numbers and titles. Then decide what sort of procedures and records you are going to create and start filling in their references next to the clauses as you complete them. This will then form your index and gap analysis as you work you way through. Start with stuff that is easy to get out of the way like some good prose about Chapter 1 and how committed the management is...
This probably sounds like a lot of trouble but as you turn the clauses green (or do whatever you like to indicate "Done!"), slowly you will see it all coming together and the day it all goes green is a big achievement!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Carlos Simoes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

You may want to take a look at this document from BRC...

http://goo.gl/A4iSe

FO037: BRC GLOBAL STANDARDS SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOL

It helped me attaining a BRC Issue 6 "Grade A" a few weeks ago.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

You may want to take a look at this document from BRC...

http://goo.gl/A4iSe

FO037: BRC GLOBAL STANDARDS SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOL

It helped me attaining a BRC Issue 6 "Grade A" a few weeks ago.

I would take this advice seriously.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

jwg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I would take this advice seriously.

Hi there,

Where can I find a BRC GLOBAL STANDARDS SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOL for BRC-IoP issue 4?

Many thanks in advance!

Melski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks guys! Its a vegetable farm...we will be certified on the process of washing, cutting, and packaging all our vegetables. I am going to contact the certification body near us today, as this is process is way out of our league. I just printed out the assessment tool so hopefully that will help! And I will look into purchasing the interpretation guide, and taking that class. Glad to know i'm not the only one overwhelmed! Im hoping once everything is set up and I get the first audit done, things will be easier.

SandyH

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa
  • Interests:Food Safety

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi there, I use the official website for GFSI quite a bit. They have the GFSI audits on their website and the latest version of the GFSI version 6.2 as well. Have a look at www.mygfsi.com

Good luck.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Carlos Simoes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi there,

Where can I find a BRC GLOBAL STANDARDS SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOL for BRC-IoP issue 4?

Many thanks in advance!

Maybe:

http://goo.gl/uzTHu

from here:

http://www.brcglobal.../Downloads.aspx

Melski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Sandy, ill check that out.

Got the standard today! Woohoo!

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi Melski - having successfully been through the process with 2 different companies, I can't tell you how often I logged on to IFSQN to ask a question, read up on a post, or grab a template that someone made up. Just as you witnessed on this post - here is where you can come for help when you are staring at the BRC mountain to climb in front of you! Best of luck to you!

Thanked by 1 Member:

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi Melski - having successfully been through the process with 2 different companies, I can't tell you how often I logged on to IFSQN to ask a question, read up on a post, or grab a template that someone made up. Just as you witnessed on this post - here is where you can come for help when you are staring at the BRC mountain to climb in front of you! Best of luck to you!

Yes, unfortunately I only discovered IFSQN after my 2nd BRC (issue 5) audit (only the previous audit notes as a guide). However, I have done exactly what Chris did for SQF under the new issue 7. 

FYI, most food safety concepts are the same (apart from some quirks in the respective standard), so looking under other standards will give you insights to other shared best practices. 

Cheers,

-B

MBrown042

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hello,

I would also have a GAP analysis performed at your operation.  It will let you know where your company stands and where you need to be be prepared for the audit.

Best Regards,

M. Brown

Rudianto

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hi,

BRC self assessment document could easily find out through the google, just make sure your searching ends with the filetype required. Just a quick comment the BRC standard is quite specific for the requirement but not too technically. I am quite comfort with this standard comparing with the others in term of implementation process.

Cheers,

Rudi

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

here is a gap analysis tool I got on here a while back 

all rights are reserved by the author, who is not me, and I can't remember who it was.

This is a great help as you can see what you have to do and there is great satisfaction turning things green.

Remember, that some areas will not be of concern to you, so identify them first if you can.

Never think a question is stupid, and come on here and ask it. I have been dug out of many a hole by these guys! :happydance:

Attached Files

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users