Grade - Active

• 18 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello,

I have a question about BRC Clause 5.3.2 listed below.

5.3.2 Clause: Where a claim is made relating to the provenance, assured or identity preserved status of a product or ingredient, the facility shall maintain purchasing records, traceability of raw material usage and final product packing records to substantiate claims. The company shall undertake

documented mass balance tests at least every six months and at a frequency to meet the particular scheme requirements.

All of these records are located in our SAP system, and when we do our mock recalls a mass balance test is performed. We do mock recalls at a minimum of two times per year or more. Do I need a separate procedure for this or can I reference our mock recall procedure?  Let me know what you think :helpplease:

Thanks,

Breann

sudarshan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:read standards...understand it....implement it...

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi Breann,

I recently undergone BRC implementation course & as per my understanding no separate procedure but you have to maintain 2 mock recalls once year means every six monthly for the same.

Best Regards
Sudarshan Koli
koli.sudarshan@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:
Bre

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hello,

I have a question about BRC Clause 5.3.2 listed below.

5.3.2 Clause: Where a claim is made relating to the provenance, assured or identity preserved status of a product or ingredient, the facility shall maintain purchasing records, traceability of raw material usage and final product packing records to substantiate claims. The company shall undertake

documented mass balance tests at least every six months and at a frequency to meet the particular scheme requirements.

All of these records are located in our SAP system, and when we do our mock recalls a mass balance test is performed. We do mock recalls at a minimum of two times per year or more. Do I need a separate procedure for this or can I reference our mock recall procedure?  Let me know what you think :helpplease:

Thanks,

Breann

This would be fine refecerenced in your company's mock recall procedure, as long as you can prove that you have full traceability in your mock recall through a mass balance.

Make sure that you test you recall from both raw materials/batches and fnished product, I know thats an easy citation as some companies only perform a moch recall on finished goods.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Bre

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Dear Bre,

I was unable to find any  specific reference to “mock recall” in brc6.

It does use the  term “product recall” with minimum annual testing as per 3.11.3  and  glossary def. – Any measures aimed at achieving the return of an unfit product from customers and final consumers.

This def. IMO does not explicitly require a mass balance although I can see the side-benefit. ( I stand willing to be corrected by current brc6 user :smile: ).

Nonetheless, I cannot see any objection to yr cross-referencing an appropriate mass balance procedure embedded within yr mock recall test. Although seems to necessitate an over-kill of mock recalls perhaps ? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
Bre

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Dear Bre,

I was unable to find any  specific reference to “mock recall” in brc6.

It does use the  term “product recall” with minimum annual testing as per 3.11.3  and  glossary def. – Any measures aimed at achieving the return of an unfit product from customers and final consumers.

This def. IMO does not explicitly require a mass balance although I can see the side-benefit. ( I stand willing to be corrected by current brc6 user :smile: ).

Nonetheless, I cannot see any objection to yr cross-referencing an appropriate mass balance procedure embedded within yr mock recall test. Although seems to necessitate an over-kill of mock recalls perhaps ? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Here in the states, if you are testing your prdocut recall procedures and in essence not really pulling product back, then it is known a "mock recall". Clause 5.3.2 references anything that needs an identity claim, at our facility we sometimes use Angus and Sirloin beef. Because of that we need to perform mock recalls on an items that contains these raw materials to statify 5.3.2 by proving that the amount of raw material recieved worked out to what was made into finished product.

Also, how do you know your recall program is effective if you do not perfrom a mass balance?

Edited by David Pham, 02 July 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Bre

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Dear David Pham,

This topic has an extensive  history on this forum.  AFAI can see  there are  various interpretations / philosophies / scopes of the numerous interlinked terminologies in use, both within and between countries / organisations. It's a bit like "validation". :smile:

For example(s) see this thread which also cross-links to earlier threads –

http://www.ifsqn.com...y-requirements/

At least in this case, for this standard, I guess the question in the OP has achieved a consensus answer ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

It is mass balance, not mock recall. All claims shall be done at every six months so that means if you have 2 schemes, one for GLOBALG.A.P. certification and another for Assured Produces, you have to do each of them at twice a year.

NY

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

This section (5.3.2) is nothing to do with recall, it is a traceability exercise relating to provenance of a product. Product Recall is section 3.11

I have a similar product. I carry out a traceability of the product (and I'm saying that it is a WELSH product) to prove that all of my ingredients are WELSH. This means going back to the supplier and doing a mass balance of what product has come in, and what product has left. We use a 5% production loss in our calculations.

I also do the same for an organic product.

Caz x

monet

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Does gluten free fall under 5.3 Provenance, assured status, IP? Would this product need a 6 monthly mass balance?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users