• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC V6 Disptach & Transport 4.15.7 - recognized standards?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

So most focus is on V7 now but im still lucky enough to be on V6 for one more audit.

I am currently looking at this clause and what we do. but have a question.

What is an internationally recognized standard?

we have 1 storage and distribution company that is BRC certified so no issue there but we are looking at a new supplier and although they do not have a BRC for storage and distribution they are either members of certified to or registered to the following:

ISO9001:2008  Certified 

IATA = International Air Transport Association (registered)

RHA = Road Haulage Association (Certified)

BIFA = British International Freight Association (Registered)

UKAS registered

Now i know that most of the above is not going to be relevant directly to what is considered Internationally Recognized but what about ISO? i understand that BRC is built on a frame work that is very much like ISO but would this constitute the requirement?

If it does i would not need to have a service agreement ensuring the whole 4.15 section is contained within it, the same as if they held BRC for distribution and storage.

if this info above does not cover what is classed by recognized.. then i guess i would need to have: 1) service agreement out lining the requirements of 4.15 and 2) verify the agreement is met / being maintained by means of a 2nd party audit?

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

The interpretation guideline is equally clear and I quote

" Alternatively, the third party shall be certificated to the Global Standard for Storage and Distribution or a similar internationally recognised standard.", so no help there but I reckon ISO is about as international as it gets.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

TomLovesStarch

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

I would say that ISO9001 + a service agreement +a 2nd party audit would be sufficient.

I guess the 2nd party audit would be fairly brief, you could ask for copies of the documents / procedures that show the service agreement is in place and being followed, and then records to verify they are being followed.

e.g that they have a procedure for breakdowns and it was followed last time a lorry broke down... 

Interested to hear what you do, because we use a BRC S&D certified haulier at the moment, but some people are not too happy with the service and have mentioned trying out a couple of other (not necessarily certified) hauliers. :doh:

Tom

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Dear All,

Is the Standard / clause under discussion nominally based on Safety ?

If Yes, AFAIK, ISO9001 is considered as focussed on Non-Safety.

<EQ> Apples and Oranges.

Hence ISO22000.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

Dear DavidAR,

ISO 9001:2008 is indeed an  international recognised standard, but for quality and not for food safety/transport.

requirement 4.15.7 stated [....] or the contracted company shall be certificated to the Global Standard for Storage and Distribution or similar internationally recognised Standard.

Similar internationally recognised standard is therefore SQF and IFS Logistics. These are all GFSI approved for transport. (see website of GFSI)

For  transport organisations only certificated against ISO 90001:2008 a contract/statement/declaration/agreement indicating all requirements of 4.15 (iss 6) is needed.

Also for requirement 3.5.3.2 (iss 6) a contract/statement/ declaration/agreement is needed.

Also for the third party transporter that is BRC Storage and Distribution certificated.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

thank you all so much for the replies, its comforting to know that my analysis of the clauses was almost spot on... This is a great help.

In terms of the verification of the clauses where they do not meet BRC or international recognised standard is it acceptable to accept and review documented evidence via email? or would i need to audit them physicaly specificaly targetting in escence this section of clauses?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users