Mrs. Mwamuye

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:I am a food safety consultant based in Kenya under a firm called Farm to Fork.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

I am implementing HACCP in a 5* hotel and I am a bit stuck at the product description. Do I take the Menu Item (Say Pork chops) and develop the product description that way? If yes (we are talking hundreds of Menu Items,

How do I go about it?, what should I include?

is it the preparation methods, temperatures at each point, holding requirements, ...that is above the labelling and consumer use requirements? 

I am not a hotelier, I am just a food safety consultant

Regards

Thanked by 1 Member:

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

as you well say, if you make a description of each product, you never end up; so the best option is to divide your products into two: products that require thermal processing, and those that do not require thermal processing. This is a classification that FDA is developing in place of his old classification of potentially hazardous foods. In the case of raw materials, also you should use ratings to avoid having to describe all that you could use.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Aliyu Angara

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

@Mwamuye. I feel your pulse. End product description for a food service industry like the hotel can be pretty challenging. However, the way around it is simply to group menus or products into ''End Product Categories'' that present largely similar characteristics. For instance, you could describe products as follows:

1. Cooked food, served hot(consisting of - starch, seafood, meat, poultry, vegetable, etc.)

2. Cooked food, served cold, e.g, mixed salads, salmon terrine, cold chicken pieces, vegetable salads, egg salad

3. Raw food, prepared and served cold and raw, e.g- Oysters, Beef carpaccio, lettuce, fruit salad, fruit platter, etc.

This way, you are able to cover more than 95% of menus available in the hotel as opposed to taking individual dishes or menus. Hope this helps

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hi Mrs Mwamuye,

Classic refs/links -

Attached File  FDA haccp manual food service and retail establishments.pdf   555.5KB   116 downloads

http://www.fda.gov/F.../ucm2006810.htm

Good Luck !

PS - Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

PPS - there are various threads on this forum relating to the grouping options/methods, try searching with "foodservice"

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
jel

Benzii

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Papua New Guinea
    Papua New Guinea

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:31 AM

thank you Mrs Mwamuye,

I have recently faced this challenge with assisting a small catering company to set up their HACCP Plan.

IFSQN team. please notify me if Catering HACCP Plan would be quite different from the challenges faced by Mrs. Mwamuye in Hotel Catering?

thanks, Benzii

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:31 AM

thank you Mrs Mwamuye,

I have recently faced this challenge with assisting a small catering company to set up their HACCP Plan.

IFSQN team. please notify me if Catering HACCP Plan would be quite different from the challenges faced by Mrs. Mwamuye in Hotel Catering?

thanks, Benzii

Hi Benzii,

The answer depends on yr specific processes and possibly the audit intentions (eg which Standard) but quite likely yes.

Also see this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=96547

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users