• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

I have been in bread baking industry a long time, and some of the things I have picked up from old timers before me are anecdotal and now I try to find valid references to back them up. Here is one:

To prevent mold growth in intermediate proofer cups in between washing (which is done every 3 months - its a big job), they recommend mixing some calcium propionate with flour at a low %, and dust the cups once/week with this after we have dry cleaned (brushed) them. We have cal pro in our bread, so it is on the label, so no problem there.

My concern is that I want to know the amount of cal pro that is acceptable, and I can't find any reference anywhere.

Anyone else familiar with this procedure?

Thank you

123Herewego

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:53 AM

Hi,

I have been in bread baking industry a long time, and some of the things I have picked up from old timers before me are anecdotal and now I try to find valid references to back them up. Here is one:

To prevent mold growth in intermediate proofer cups in between washing (which is done every 3 months - its a big job), they recommend mixing some calcium propionate with flour at a low %, and dust the cups once/week with this after we have dry cleaned (brushed) them. We have cal pro in our bread, so it is on the label, so no problem there.

My concern is that I want to know the amount of cal pro that is acceptable, and I can't find any reference anywhere.

Anyone else familiar with this procedure?

Thank you

Hello Jaygill, I am from Bakery operations. In Canada the limit is 2000ppm. its usually .3%-.4% on Bakers percentage. I have article, let me find it and attach it for you.

123Herewego

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

I don't know how to attach the attachment.. :(

Got it

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

123Herewego

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

Remember Calcium propionate dose not act if your pH is more than 5.5. So you cannot just use a lot of cal pro. In bakery, there is no alternate to cleaning.

jaygil

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Thank you 123! Good reference-

Jay

Share this