• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

Dear Forum,

I would like to post one question related to cross contamination and decision tree of BRC Issue 7.

I was proposed to produce simultaneous two types of products: frozen raw pastry and frozen pastry already baked.

The production process is:

Frozen raw pastry: mixing, depositing, freezing, packaging

Frozen baked pastry: mixing, depositing, baking, cooling, freezing, packaging

My issue is the possible contamination that can happen when the blast freezing tunnel and packaging line is used at the same time for raw and baked product. This is a basic principle and against all the HACCP philosophy...

Nevertheless, my point is how to use the Production Zone Decision Tree 1 fo BRC 7.

The binomial pH and aW for raw batter shows that it support the growth of pathogens, namely Listeria. So, the answer for the Step 3 is YES.

Step 4 is my biggest doubt!!!

Does the area contain products which, on the basis of cooking instructions and known customer use, undergo full cooking prior to consumption?

Area? does this mean freezing and packaging line?? On the same area I would have baked product...

Undergo full cooking prior to consumption? yes, cooking instructions will be defined and need validation...

I am lost here!?!?!?

The customer use, if I can define like this is: the individual muffins are to be sold raw and frozen. In the store or on the customer house the product will be baked directly without defrosting for xxxx time and yyyy temperature.

Can anyone help me???

Regards

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

Dear Forum,

I would like to post one question related to cross contamination and decision tree of BRC Issue 7.

I was proposed to produce simultaneous two types of products: frozen raw pastry and frozen pastry already baked.

The production process is:

Frozen raw pastry: mixing, depositing, freezing, packaging

Frozen baked pastry: mixing, depositing, baking, cooling, freezing, packaging

My issue is the possible contamination that can happen when the blast freezing tunnel and packaging line is used at the same time for raw and baked product. This is a basic principle and against all the HACCP philosophy...

Nevertheless, my point is how to use the Production Zone Decision Tree 1 fo BRC 7.

The binomial pH and aW for raw batter shows that it support the growth of pathogens, namely Listeria. So, the answer for the Step 3 is YES.

Step 4 is my biggest doubt!!!

Does the area contain products which, on the basis of cooking instructions and known customer use, undergo full cooking prior to consumption?

Area? does this mean freezing and packaging line?? On the same area I would have baked product...

Area means the location (zone) relevant to the particular process step whose zone is being risk assessed. You need to study each process step in turn.

BRC typically requires separation of raw/cooked (baked) products although, from memory, there are specific exceptions for baking ovens where no separate entry/exit exists. So yr zone risk classification relates to yr specific product flow pattern.

Undergo full cooking prior to consumption? yes, cooking instructions will be defined and need validation...

I am lost here!?!?!?

The customer use, if I can define like this is: the individual muffins are to be sold raw and frozen. In the store or on the customer house the product will be baked directly without defrosting for xxxx time and yyyy temperature.

Can anyone help me???

I'm unsure what the 2nd question actually is ?

Regards

Hi Ligia,

Please see the red comments.

Regarding  packaging / freezing,  I'm not in baking industry but IMEX the packaging of raw/RTE (high risk) finished product is required by BRC to be physically separated.  Similarly for the freezing step although possible to use the same freezer if no cross-contamination risk, eg products are run sequentially.

PS - Welcome to the Forum !  :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Lígia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Hi Charles!

many thanks for your reply.

So, if we consider the following product:

Individual muffins raw and frozen. The product will be baked on a oven directly without defrosting for xxx time and yyy temperature.

Production zone decision tree 1:

Step 1: Frozen

Step 2: Yes

Step 3: Yes (pH and aW for raw batter shows that it support the growth of pathogens, namely Listeria.) So, the answer for the Step 3 is YES.

Step 4: The area can be defined as the process steps (freezing and packaging)_ok!

The products are raw and will be baked by the customer according to cooking instructions, prior consumption. So, the answer for the Step 4 is YES_Low Risk Area

But in the other hand, this product is not RTE nor RTH. It is Ready to cook food (food designed by the manufacturer as requiring cooking). In my point of view the answer for this Step is NO

Step 5: NO_High care area

Is this also the community interpretation?

Waiting for all the replies

Regards

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hi Ligia,

IMO and based on yr info. -

1-frozen

2-yes

3-yes

4-yes

Process Zones (mixing, depositing, freezing, packaging) are low risk as per BRC, DT1

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

It depends on what your pastry is filled with IMO; it could be classed as low risk, ambient high care or high care.  

I have worked in a dough bakery and it might sound odd but there is no physical segregation from raw to cooked dough.  I'm sure some day it will come in because of the risks of cross contamination of salmonellae from the raw dough.  The question that is key to food safety is whether either the Salmonellae would grow or if (like in chocolate) there could be a protective effect from the fat in the product meaning a low dose would infect the customer.

Gut feel is it doesn't feel great to be using the same process for raw and cooked pastry even if you don't go the whole hog with high care segregation.  If you have higher risk fillings like egg or dairy then I would say full high care segregation isn't just advisable but necessary.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

It depends on what your pastry is filled with IMO; it could be classed as low risk, ambient high care or high care.  

I have worked in a dough bakery and it might sound odd but there is no physical segregation from raw to cooked dough.  I'm sure some day it will come in because of the risks of cross contamination of salmonellae from the raw dough.  The question that is key to food safety is whether either the Salmonellae would grow or if (like in chocolate) there could be a protective effect from the fat in the product meaning a low dose would infect the customer.

Gut feel is it doesn't feel great to be using the same process for raw and cooked pastry even if you don't go the whole hog with high care segregation.  If you have higher risk fillings like egg or dairy then I would say full high care segregation isn't just advisable but necessary.

Hi GMO,

“ambient” related options seem to have been ruled out by the  OP’s frozen storage requirement ?.

Otherwise I agree with you that a filling (or topping) could be relevant.

I only just noticed that “bakery” products seem to oscillate between BRC categories 10 and 14 and, as per the BRC6 guidance document F048, a menu of various (subjective-looking) BRC designations including low risk, high risk, high care is available (assuming no further revisions have occurred).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

Hi GMO,

“ambient” related options seem to have been ruled out by the  OP’s frozen storage requirement ?.

Otherwise I agree with you that a filling (or topping) could be relevant.

I only just noticed that “bakery” products seem to oscillate between BRC categories 10 and 14 and, as per the BRC6 guidance document F048, a menu of various (subjective-looking) BRC designations including low risk, high risk, high care is available (assuming no further revisions have occurred).

D'oh (dough) of course.  Thank you.  I wasn't really thinking that through.  I suppose what I was thinking was that the risk with chocolate say, which would be classed as ambient high care and pastries could be similar.  I was imagining a product which was frozen but only for shelf life reasons and could be eaten at room temperature.  For example a pain au chocolat but you're right it can't be ambient high care if it's not ambient!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users