• Quick Navigation
Photo

Broken Glass Policy for a Distributor

Share this

Best Answer , 23 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

So as I understand you are receiving some items packed in a glass containers ( like jam for example ) , also you had other items are packed in carton display , plastic bag ,... and so on .

I do not know if you have a raw ingredients ( like wheat flour , rice ,..) , herbs  or fruits , also do you have some items to be repacked or your facility  just receive and distribute only.

According to the above understanding  I think that :

- You do not have to register the items which packed in glass policy , it is already in your inventory  .

- Yo can only add in your glass policy handling of products in case of glass breakage .

- All glass breakage cases should be documented by time , date , location and quantity also the corrective action must be documented ( the anchor point of the corrective action is to give evidence that there is no probability of glass splinters contamination , it could be for examples visual inspection of the area , clean the area and using vacuum cleaner to swap all glass splinters from the our packaging layer of other items then assuring it is not passing through it to the inner packaging .

- Any inventory loss / difference justified that it is due to breakage must include a the required document .

- If it is possible make a section for all products with glass packaging together away from the other , however if it is not applicable you need to make a sorting in the racking ,so that reduce the risk or glass splinters in case of breakage .

- if mixing storage used then All the items in glass containers will require that any breakage incidents should be documented and the corrective action is done as per instruction as the given example above .

( auditor can easily get this by asking for the inventory difference between received and dispatched quantities , so he can ask about the reason for the variance ) .

- Sometimes the team think that the closed products will not affected by glass splinters , you should give them a concise brief about how could glass splinters could be a risk for other products , yes it will not go directly inside but it could be on the packaging and during stripping may transfer inside the contained material .

- During dispatching ( if you are using your vehicles ) , just make the sorting a proper way , add add glass breakage inside the pre-loading or loading inspection , you can also use shrink wrapping .

Finally glass breakage policy is for controlling glass contamination ,it required to be localized as per each facility , as far it is simple and practical it will be successful.

hope this answer you query , 

Good luck ,

Ehab  

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jbrosky

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hello all,

We are a distributor of primarily Asian produce and grocery items and I have a question about how to create a broken glass policy. Most examples I have found tend to address manufacturing or production scenarios, particularly in their reference to a master log of glass and brittle plastics. For a distributor, does this mean we'd have to include every product we sell that comes in glass?

Or do we just have to have a plan in place for how we handle broken glass? Almost of the glass we deal with comes in the form of containers for products we resell. 

Thanks for any help,

Jared

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hi Jared ,

Simply the glass breakage policy is maintained to assure that your produce / grocery items is free of glass , brittle plastic   , it is a part of the pre-requisite programs in controlling the foreign bodies in the food , the level of the policy depends on the product .process , storage and distribution in your organization ,to issue it you need to make assessment for how could the glass be introduced to your product .

So according to your given facts you draw your plan and issue the policy .

As I do not know  what is the work flow and what is exactly the processes in your facility , I can give a wide glance on it ,for example :

- all  light pulps must be shielded in a way that assure that there is no probability of contamination   , whenever in a facility or a transportation trucks / vehicle , also do not miss forklifts .

- Windows should be made of shatterproof glass or similar material , if not it must be shielded with shutter proof .

- All tools / containers for measuring or filling must not be of glass .

- Glass should not introduced to processing / filling or storage area 

- if there is a  glass items stored in the facility it should be away with good wrapping and monitored for breakage 

and so on whenever there is a risk of glass splinters instructs the standard or the measures in your policy then document the control limits and make a clear plan ( who will do what ,when and how , what is the corrective action in case of deviation , in which document )

Now you have your plan ,it is easy to make your own checklist to assure that all risk points is monitored .

After issuing the policy perform training course for the team then share with them , Make a poster in the facility .

I copied to you SQF Code Storage and Distribution of Food Products , please consider it during preparing your policy ,you can copy paste from it and apply if it is applicable for your facility and checklist 

12.2.3.3 Doors shall be of solid construction; and windows shall be made of shatterproof glass or similar material.

12.7.1 Control of Foreign Matter

12.7.1.1 The responsibility and methods used to prevent foreign matter contamination of product shall be documented, implemented and communicated to all staff.

12.7.1.2 Inspections shall be performed to ensure plant and equipment remains in good condition and potential contaminants have not detached or become damaged or deteriorated. The use of temporary fasteners such as string, wire or tape to fix or hold equipment shall not be permitted.

12.7.1.3 The following preventative measures shall be implemented where applicable to prevent glass contamination:

i. All glass objects or similar material in food handling/contact zones shall be listed in a glass register including details of their location;

ii. Containers, equipment and other utensils made of glass, porcelain, ceramics, laboratory glassware or other like material (except where product is contained in packaging made from these materials, or measurement instruments with glass dial covers or MIG thermometers required under regulation) shall not be permitted in food processing /contact zones;

iii. Conduct regular inspections of food handling/contact zones to ensure they are free of glass or other like material and to establish no changes to the condition of the objects listed in the glass register; and iv. Inspect glass instrument dial covers on processing equipment and MIG thermometers at the start and finish of each shift to confirm they have not been damaged.

12.7.1.4 Wooden pallets and other wooden utensils used in food handling and storage shall be dedicated for that purpose, clean, maintained in good order and their condition subject to regular inspection.

12.7.1.5 Loose metal objects on equipment, equipment covers and overhead structures shall be removed or tightly fixed so as not to present a hazard.

12.7.2 Managing Foreign Matter Contamination Incidents

12.7.2.1 In all cases of foreign matter contamination the affected batch or item shall be isolated, inspected, reworked or disposed of.

12.7.2.2 In circumstances where glass or similar material breakage occurs the affected area is to be isolated, cleaned and thoroughly inspected (including cleaning equipment and footwear) and cleared by a suitably responsible person prior to the commencement of operations.

I wish this is help ,

good luck ,

Ehab 

Thanked by 1 Member:
jbrosky

jbrosky

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

Ehab,

Thank you very much for your reply.  

Since we are a distributor and many of the items we sell are packaged in glass containers, will we have to include each of these items in the glass register? I feel that a distribution scenario like ours is different from manufacturing or production, where there is a danger of glass entering a processed product. In our situation, glass containers are part of what we sell - how would we separate it?  Does 12.7.1.3.ii address our situation in your opinion?

ii. Containers, equipment and other utensils made of glass, porcelain, ceramics, laboratory glassware or other like material (except where product is contained in packaging made from these materials, or measurement instruments with glass dial covers or MIG thermometers required under regulation) shall not be permitted in food processing /contact zones;

If so, do you think our glass policy would simply be to have a plan to address breakage and cleanup?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Jared

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:22 AM   Best Answer

So as I understand you are receiving some items packed in a glass containers ( like jam for example ) , also you had other items are packed in carton display , plastic bag ,... and so on .

I do not know if you have a raw ingredients ( like wheat flour , rice ,..) , herbs  or fruits , also do you have some items to be repacked or your facility  just receive and distribute only.

According to the above understanding  I think that :

- You do not have to register the items which packed in glass policy , it is already in your inventory  .

- Yo can only add in your glass policy handling of products in case of glass breakage .

- All glass breakage cases should be documented by time , date , location and quantity also the corrective action must be documented ( the anchor point of the corrective action is to give evidence that there is no probability of glass splinters contamination , it could be for examples visual inspection of the area , clean the area and using vacuum cleaner to swap all glass splinters from the our packaging layer of other items then assuring it is not passing through it to the inner packaging .

- Any inventory loss / difference justified that it is due to breakage must include a the required document .

- If it is possible make a section for all products with glass packaging together away from the other , however if it is not applicable you need to make a sorting in the racking ,so that reduce the risk or glass splinters in case of breakage .

- if mixing storage used then All the items in glass containers will require that any breakage incidents should be documented and the corrective action is done as per instruction as the given example above .

( auditor can easily get this by asking for the inventory difference between received and dispatched quantities , so he can ask about the reason for the variance ) .

- Sometimes the team think that the closed products will not affected by glass splinters , you should give them a concise brief about how could glass splinters could be a risk for other products , yes it will not go directly inside but it could be on the packaging and during stripping may transfer inside the contained material .

- During dispatching ( if you are using your vehicles ) , just make the sorting a proper way , add add glass breakage inside the pre-loading or loading inspection , you can also use shrink wrapping .

Finally glass breakage policy is for controlling glass contamination ,it required to be localized as per each facility , as far it is simple and practical it will be successful.

hope this answer you query , 

Good luck ,

Ehab  

Thanked by 1 Member:
jbrosky

jbrosky

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

Ehab,

Thanks and again for your thorough input. I think we have all of our questions answered and know where to put our focus.  We have certain measures already in practice and need to firm up our breakage procedures, but putting our policy together will be a lot easier now because of your help.

Thanks,

Jared

AMH879

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 August 2023 - 12:27 PM

Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening  :rofl2:

Quick Question:

The facility I work with has just started working with glass bottles for a new product.

The glass bottles are manufactured in China and received in USA, does anyone have an example of a glass bottle inspection form to use before we start using the bottles? If so, this would be greatly appreciated  to share or let me know of any good websites to obtain a form. 

Thank you,

Allison 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users