• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

Hello all,

We just finished our SQF Audit last week and I am working on the responses to submit. My question is about the food defense section. We received non-conformance for not have a challenge to the food defense plan. I know this is new to Edition 8 so I was curious what people had done to satisfy this (2.7.1.3). Auditor recommended send some not employee by use to wander thru the plant and gauge everyone reactions. Will this suffice? Thanks in advance.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

Or you could ask random employees what they would do if they saw a face that they didn't think belonged wandering about. That way you are challenging your training and the policy/program at the same time.  (this depends on you having included this in your training sessions)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

JTQuality

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Scampi - I like that idea. It was included in the training. Appreciate it. 

augusteissa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

The best way is what your auditor has described to you.

But you have to take the time between the beginning of the intrusion and the moment that the stranger is stopped by a member of production and you need to document this exercise.

you must also talk about it when training employees who have a duty to react between strangers in the company.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:56 AM

Hello,

As our Food Defense mock exercise, we challenge our security by sending employee with crab meat inside a plastic bag tuck in his shirt. Fortunately, it was not intercepted by our guard-on-duty on the gate. So our Food Defense plan fails on that aspect (theft). We conducted meeting with our security agency about the matter. Now every employee going out is inspected thoroughly.

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

There are any number of ways to challenge your program.

In the past I have taken a 5 gallon bucket and put a picture of a "bomb" on it and written BOMB in large letters, placed it in a fairly well traveled area of the facility and timed how long it took for it to be reported.

If you have numerous roll up doors on a dock that open outside, go outside and attempt to gain entry to the facility through one of the roll up doors.

Have fun with it and if you can engage other employees, they may learn something and may be a bit more alert as a result.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

careermommy03

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

does anyone have a form they use to capture these challenges and would you be willing to share?

Cheza0021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:27 PM

Same here. I thought the same of sending someone thru, but what about the legal ramification if they get hurt? I came across this article which should met compliance.

So my auditor did not take into account the one; cameras in-place, two access limited to badge entry.

Quality Module really silly; pass or fail. Miss one fail all. Keep trying, already working on changes to Edition 8th.

http://www.qualityas...s-verification/

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:04 AM

Same here. I thought the same of sending someone thru, but what about the legal ramification if they get hurt? I came across this article which should met compliance.

So my auditor did not take into account the one; cameras in-place, two access limited to badge entry.

Quality Module really silly; pass or fail. Miss one fail all. Keep trying, already working on changes to Edition 8th.

http://www.qualityas...s-verification/

Hi Cheza,

Thks for the Link.

I suppose this is a Conservative interpretation of Trust but Verify.

I note it was issued 3 years ago so may well have been tightened by now.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

springsangel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

does anyone have a form they use to capture these challenges and would you be willing to share?

Did you have any luck with a form?  I have the same CAR from our audit, and struggling to create a form that makes sense

LachelleOMP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:00 AM

Thanks for posting the link to the website!  Very useful!

tina Block

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

Hello all,

We just finished our SQF Audit last week and I am working on the responses to submit. My question is about the food defense section. We received non-conformance for not have a challenge to the food defense plan. I know this is new to Edition 8 so I was curious what people had done to satisfy this (2.7.1.3). Auditor recommended send some not employee by use to wander thru the plant and gauge everyone reactions. Will this suffice? Thanks in advance.

Hello! 

Can you please share the format of your response for this?

Thank you.

Tina

tina Block

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

Hello! 

Can you please share the format of your response for this?

Thank you.

Tina

tblock@maple-island.com

tina Block

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

Anyone who can share with me the format on how you document the food defense challenge? Please share with me at tblock@maple-island.com

Thank you very much.

jdh7318

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:37 PM

For our facilities food defense plan, we challenged it in two ways.

The first way was by sending my wife through the plant with lunch. She knocked on the lobby door and was let in my another employee, who didn't know who she was, instead of directing her to the main office to sign in.

We also challenged this by checking one of our vendors that regularly visits. We looked at his supply totes as he came through the building just to make sure he wasn't sabotaging any of our product.

Farm Mom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

We just received the same non-conformity for our SQF un-announced inspection. I like the "bomb in the bucket" idea, but would hate to scare our workers.  We have all entrances secured by badge....kind of stumped, but would like to be creative as it tends to stick in peoples minds a little more.

Any other creative ideas for compliance?

Thank you,

Michelle

loveforfood

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

We just passed our SQF audit and the challenge was try to get the wife of one of our management team to get into the production plant. She was stopped by one of our employees. I didn't use any specific format to record that. I just sent an email to senior management explaining the exercise and printed it and it was considered good enough by the auditor.

Thanked by 1 Member:

rwalker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:56 AM

This year I used the pandemic situation - we have special protocols for plant entry due to COVID (temperature checking, and only entering through one specific entrance). I attempted to circumvent this entry protocol as my challenge and was happily unsuccessful.

Thanked by 1 Member:

chrkut

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

My plant used to use a vendor and not add him to the approved vendor list for that day, and see if the Guards let him through.

This past year, we did something different and a boss came through in a different vehicle, without the company tag, to see if he would be stopped. He then tested all the doors, and verified that everyone on site was on the approved log for the day. 

We usually use the following format for the report:

Food Defense Annual Challenge Test Scenario XX/XX/XXXX

Description of Incident / Potential Threat: – Contractor, XXXX was scheduled to conduct (WORK). His name was intentionally not placed on the daily contractor schedule to verify that the on-site security guard would follow our food defense procedure. 

Action Taken - On site security guard could not verify that the contractor had an appointment, he contacted on site management, (Work contact) who in turn verified that he did have an appointment. After verification, he was allowed on site  

Conclusion – On site security staff followed our procedure by holding the contractor outside the gate until his appointment could be verified with plant management.

Thanked by 5 Members:

Hoyle

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:20 PM

Hey folks,

I was wondering how you all go about documenting your challenge.
Should I just write up a little form saying what time I attempted to breach security and the results? 
How in depth do I really need to get?

I should have read to the bottom of the thread before posting, thanks chrkut

Edited by Hoyle, 11 January 2024 - 10:24 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users