• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to Write Exemptions for Food Safety Code: Manufacture of Food Packaging edition 9.0

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic
- - - - -

karlieh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:53 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly write an exemption for the SQF Food Safety Code: Manufacture of Food Packaging edition 9.0?

I need to exempt all non food grade related products/materials, and I am unsure of the proper way to write it into our program, that will be acceptable for the audit.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 09 September 2021 - 01:50 PM

Are these products used in any way on your food items?

What use do they provide?

-Setanta         

karlieh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 September 2021 - 02:38 PM

Are these products used in any way on your food items?

What use do they provide?

No, our non food grade products and materials are used in no way on our food safe items. 

We sell labels, and we have food grade and non food grade labels. And only the food grade stock and materials is what will be audited, and I need to exempt all of our non food grade products/materials.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:18 AM

Personally, I wouldn't exclude the non-food contact items.  Regardless if you include or exclude, you need to include in your programs how you prevent contamination between non-food contact and food contact.  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

You do not need to write exemption requests nor put anyrhing into writing for the audit.

Understand that your entire facilty will be insoected even if you did have extentions in place.

Auditors fully understand that packaging conpanies do duel manufacturing and when you sign uo for a CB you just tell them you also make non contact label as well

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:42 PM

In addition with the CB when they ask what the inclusions and not included items are for the scope of certification you would indicate food contact/grade etc labels.

They will ask what items witll be exempted but that is it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:48 PM

We just completed our Audit a week ago and our plant is the same. Very minor food contact production (15%) and the balance non-food contact. I have never requested an exemption on the non-food contact portion even though our program is based on the food contact  The first three audits concentrated on the food contact portion, but this year the Auditor seemed more interested in the non-food contact portion and that is where we received 6 of our 8 non-conformances. He also commented that the non-food contact portion of production should be sanitized, smocked and hair/beard netted the same as the food contact employees even though the food contact production is cordoned off and not accessible to any other production worker than those dressed and sanitized. I'm also considering an exemption on the non-food contact portion of production. 

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

Why the heck would he/she say your non-food contact portion should be sanitized, smocked and hair/beard nets? I guess I don't understand what the risk is? I seem to recall SQF being big on doing accurate risk assessments, so that seems a bit contradictory.

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:03 PM

TimG

My thoughts exactly. Sadly Auditor seemed to want to finish off Audit Day 2 with as big a bang as possible by nit-picking any area he could. I feel a lot of the "suggestions" were unnecessary and unfounded but it gives us a bit of a scare for our next years "unannounced". Don't know if they can send the same Auditor three years in a row.  Fingers crossed they can't.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:08 PM

Were any of the NC's against written policy? Do you have it written in a PnP that the food grade line will follow a different set of policy/procedure than the non-food grade process line? 

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:04 PM

I would say for sure one NC was but some more knowledgeable might disagree with me. 13.2.5.1 was some dust on a shelf by a digital press on the other side of the building not contained within the cordoned off food contact press area. I know that dust in one spot probably means that you're not following a rigid enough cleaning protocol but he seemed to spend more time in the non-food contact production areas than the food contact area. Six of our 8 NC's were all from the QM 13. section of our program.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:19 PM

I would argue back with the certifying body. This is utter nonsense, you should not have been issued any NC on the non food grade end of things UNLESS those impacted your food grade

As for "suggestions" auditors are not to make suggestions, it opens them up to legal wrangling

Sounds like the audit was trying to justify 2 full audit days when one would have been sufficient

We make food and our SQF is 2 days.......something smells fishy

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:22 PM

Ok, I 100% agree with Scampi. I actually started typing something similar, but backspaced it all because I haven't run an SQF certified facility in 6+ years so I didn't want to steer you wrong if there was something in the new codes that I wasn't familiar with.

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

That is sort of how I was feeling it at the end also. First day was about how far behind we were in conducting the Audit on the system elements (10 full hours, no lunch break!), than day 2 was quickly review GMPs and a lot of walking around for the 4 hours writing NC's. His hour of report writing started at 1:30 and he was out the door with closing meeting done at 3. I have appealed that NC and a consumer purchasable mouse bait we monitor that we were told we had to have a license to use. Our governing body (Provincial Minister) confirms consumer purchasable product, no license needed. Sure hope we don't get him next year.

Ana_B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:08 AM

TimG

My thoughts exactly. Sadly Auditor seemed to want to finish off Audit Day 2 with as big a bang as possible by nit-picking any area he could. I feel a lot of the "suggestions" were unnecessary and unfounded but it gives us a bit of a scare for our next years "unannounced". Don't know if they can send the same Auditor three years in a row.  Fingers crossed they can't.

I'm sorry to tell you this but yes, they can. In fact they can audit you three years in a row, the fourth you will have a different auditor and it is possible that the fifth you will have the initial auditor again. Is what happens to us...

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 May 2022 - 06:54 PM

UPDATE:  We have been informed that the same Auditor from two previous years will do our Unannounced Audit this year. I have prepared a Risk Assessment and Traffic Flow Risk Floor Plan.

Is the consensus, from those more knowledgeable, that I do not need to send this Risk Assessment and Floor Plan into CB to request a formal "exemption" on the non-food contact area?

Any advise is welcomed.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 89 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:28 PM

You can ask for a different auditor.  It is in your right if you did not like the way the auditor conducted himself.  I have done it before.  No need to go into detail with the CB just tell them that you are requesting a different auditor.  Just wanted to throw that out there as I feel many people do not realize you are allowed to do that.

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:02 PM

Scotty_SQF, thank you for the information. So I would just contact my Coordinator at the CB and request a change of Auditor and wait for the confirmation. That will take a lot of stress out of our workplace for sure.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:35 PM

It is in everyone's best interests that the auditors do not repeated go back to the same facility year/year

queenb-who is your CB currently?

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:40 PM

Scampi, our CB is NSF. We are in Canada also so I think we are limited on Auditors for Packaging but I will contact them today and request a different Auditor.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

This may help

https://www.exemplar...rchregister.php

It will at least allow you to be informed prior to contacting NSF

That's also our CB and there are only 3 certified auditors for our food type, but we do cycle through the 3 and never the same back to back

sqfnewbie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:20 PM

Can you request a specific Auditor if you are requesting a new one for your facility? Or do they not allow that?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:38 PM

No, I don't believe they will let you do that.  

That form will allow you to see just how many auditors in Canada there are that can audit you-----it's not your problem if your say in Gander and 2 of the auditors live in Red Deer as an example

queenb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:53 PM

Scotty_SQF and Scampi thank you for the valuable information. I requested a different Auditor and was given one. It is a feeling of relief for sure.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:59 PM

Fantastic result!!

Share this